• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Assignment of Inventions agreement as terms of employment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BrianS

My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: Illinois

Preparing to sign a confidentiality agreement that includes an assignment of inventions section. I am looking for clarification on the wording.

I agree promptly to disclose to the Company any and all ideas, concepts, discoveries, inventions, developments, original works of authorship, software programs, software and systems documentation, trade secrets, technical data and know-how that are conceived, devised, invented, developed or reduced to practice or tangible medium by me, under my direction or jointly with others during any period that I am employed or engaged by the Company, whether or not during normal working hours or on the premises of the Company, which relate, directly or indirectly, to the business of the Company and arise out of my employment with the Company (collectively, "Inventions").

The last portion of this is where I want to make sure I am clear. Example: I am working for a company that designs and manufactures cameras.
  1. I come up with an idea of a better method to mount a flash on the camera. This would be the property of the company because it directly relates to the business of the company.
  2. If I develop software used for photo editing. This would be the property of the company because it indirectly relates to the business of the company.
  3. I design a new type of opening for a water bottle. This would not be the property of the company because it does not directly or indirectly relate to the business of the company.

I acknowledge that all original works of authorship made by me within the scope of my employment which are protectable by copyright are intended to be "works made for hire", as that term is defined in Section 101 of the United States Copyright Act of 1976 (the "Act"), and shall be the property of the Company and the Company shall be the sole author within the meaning of the Act. If the copyright to any such copyrightable work shall not be the property of the Company by operation of law, I will, without further consideration, assign to the Company all of my right, title and interest in such copyrightable work and will cooperate with the Company and its designees, at the Company's expense, to secure, maintain and defend for the Company's benefit copyrights and any extensions and renewals thereof on any and all such work. I hereby waive all claims to moral rights in any Inventions.

I acknowledge that all original works of authorship made by me within the scope of my employment
  1. This means that if I am employed as a software developer, and code I write related to my job is the property of the company. Right?
  2. If I am writing photo editing software for a camera company as my job, and I write a solitare program at home, on my personal time that is not the property of the company because it has absolutely no relation to my role or the business of the company. Right?

If the copyright to any such copyrightable work shall not be the property of the Company by operation of law, I will, without further consideration, assign to the Company all of my right, title and interest
  1. If I have a copyrighted work, patent, or invention that has no relation with the business of the company, those would not be included or considered for this. Right?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You need to speak to an attorney to fully review the contract and advise you. Contract review is beyond the scope of this (or any) internet forum.

quincy

My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: Illinois

Preparing to sign a confidentiality agreement that includes an assignment of inventions section. I am looking for clarification on the wording.

I agree promptly to disclose to the Company any and all ideas, concepts, discoveries, inventions, developments, original works of authorship, software programs, software and systems documentation, trade secrets, technical data and know-how that are conceived, devised, invented, developed or reduced to practice or tangible medium by me, under my direction or jointly with others during any period that I am employed or engaged by the Company, whether or not during normal working hours or on the premises of the Company, which relate, directly or indirectly, to the business of the Company and arise out of my employment with the Company (collectively, "Inventions").

The last portion of this is where I want to make sure I am clear. Example: I am working for a company that designs and manufactures cameras.
  1. I come up with an idea of a better method to mount a flash on the camera. This would be the property of the company because it directly relates to the business of the company.
  2. If I develop software used for photo editing. This would be the property of the company because it indirectly relates to the business of the company.
  3. I design a new type of opening for a water bottle. This would not be the property of the company because it does not directly or indirectly relate to the business of the company.

I acknowledge that all original works of authorship made by me within the scope of my employment which are protectable by copyright are intended to be "works made for hire", as that term is defined in Section 101 of the United States Copyright Act of 1976 (the "Act"), and shall be the property of the Company and the Company shall be the sole author within the meaning of the Act. If the copyright to any such copyrightable work shall not be the property of the Company by operation of law, I will, without further consideration, assign to the Company all of my right, title and interest in such copyrightable work and will cooperate with the Company and its designees, at the Company's expense, to secure, maintain and defend for the Company's benefit copyrights and any extensions and renewals thereof on any and all such work. I hereby waive all claims to moral rights in any Inventions.

I acknowledge that all original works of authorship made by me within the scope of my employment
  1. This means that if I am employed as a software developer, and code I write related to my job is the property of the company. Right?
  2. If I am writing photo editing software for a camera company as my job, and I write a solitare program at home, on my personal time that is not the property of the company because it has absolutely no relation to my role or the business of the company. Right?

If the copyright to any such copyrightable work shall not be the property of the Company by operation of law, I will, without further consideration, assign to the Company all of my right, title and interest
  1. If I have a copyrighted work, patent, or invention that has no relation with the business of the company, those would not be included or considered for this. Right?
Although agreements like this are common, there are a few clauses in this one that would give me pause.

I agree with Zigner. I recommend you do not sign the agreement until you have an IP attorney go over the terms and conditions with you. The attorney can explain to you exactly how the agreement could affect you in the future. Do not sign until you fully understand what you are signing.

quincy

Example?

Does that mean you're not actually working for a company that designs and manufactures cameras?
That’s what it sounds like. He gives more than one example. Not that it really matters as to the terms of the agreement.

Last edited:

BrianS

Although agreements like this are common, there are a few clauses in this one that would give me pause.

I agree with Zigner. I recommend you do not sign the agreement until you have an IP attorney go over the terms and conditions with you. The attorney can explain to you exactly how the agreement could affect you in the future. Do not sign until you fully understand what you are signing.
Yes. Those items I bolded are what jumped out at me. I will consult a lawyer. Thank you all for the help.

quincy

Most of what you quoted of the agreement is pretty standard but I think it smart to have a personal review by an IP professional, just to make sure you are not giving up more rights than necessary for your job.

Good luck.

adjusterjack

I am not working for a camera manufacturer. Just an example that would apply in a relational manner in the line of questioning.
Many posters do that, not understanding that comments regarding an example may be totally wrong for the reality. That's why the general response it to take it to a lawyer for evaluation of the actual business and how those conditions may effect you.

quincy

Many posters do that, not understanding that comments regarding an example may be totally wrong for the reality. That's why the general response it to take it to a lawyer for evaluation of the actual business and how those conditions may effect you.
Examples can help a poster understand where legal lines can be drawn, though. I find them helpful.

Not that examples of any sort by anyone will get around the fact that we don’t analyze contracts on this forum. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">