• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Assignment of medical support arrears

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tcp610

What is the name of your state? Texas

Background: Last modification was almost 7 years ago and the NCP was ordered to pay $50 a month to the state because our child was on medicaid. From 2015-2017, I carried our child on my insurance through my job. I faxed in the information requested by the OAG's office to change the assignment of medical payments to me instead of the state. I recall calling a couple of times to make sure everything was in order but they never requested anything else from me at the time.

We just had a review because the NCP wanted to make sure her other children were included in the support calculation. When I was going through paperwork trying to get everything together for the review, I found all of the paperwork about the insurance change. At the review the OAG office has no record of my child not being on medicaid. The worker would not look at my paperwork stating that I would have had to deal with back then (I did, hence the faxes I was trying to show her). Is there a time limit for me to fix their error? I know that if I owed the state vs the state owing me, they wouldn't have said it was too late. I understand I should have followed up better. I was just thinking if I could correct this it would lessen the medical support arrears by around $1200-1400 and my child's mother would not be in as much trouble as she currently is in.
Thank you

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Did she, perhaps, pay the state as ordered? How do you know (whether she did or did not)?

tcp610

No, she did not pay as ordered, she is 8600 in arrears. During the review, they said she owed $1800, plus interest to the state for medicaid. The rest is back child support that is owed to me. I thought if I could get the 27 months that I paid for insurance assigned to me instead of the state, because that is what should have happened when I faxed in everything requested, there would maybe be a lesser consequence for her. While it would be great for her to pay on time so my child is taken care of, if she goes to jail, that doesn't help anyone out.

tcp610

I understand I should have followed up better. I just wasn't sure if there was an actual rule for how back the OAG could go to reassign payments. It has been almost 5 years.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">