• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Assistance to understand the First Departemnt of New york supreme court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tom Van Dijk

I would appreciate your help, I am running out of options.

My name is Tom Van Dijk, I live in Holland and I am a freelance car dealer.

I invested almost all of my money and savings in buying an asset in New York with my partner 7 years ago.

The asset was rented for years and I earned the same amount of money agreed with my partner until a few months ago when my partner decided he wants to sell the asset.

We signed a letter of agreement in July 2012 claiming that if we sell the asset I will get 70% back of the deal and my partner will get 30%.

I didn't want to sell it, which lead to a conflict. Eventually, he sold the asset behind my back without paying me a cent.

He was written as the sole owner of the asset because I was abroad during the closing deal, unfortunately, I trusted my partner to act for the best interest of both of us.

I filed a lawsuit a few years ago at the New York Supreme Court and my partner won the case. The judges claimed that the letter of agreement is not a real contract and is not valid due to the statute of limitations.

I want to file an appeal. I have been told that if I do so the sitting will occur in the first department of the court of appeal in New York.

I will truly appreciate it if someone could provide me information regarding the appealing process and decision making in order to understand if I have any chance.

I would like to understand the exact process of appealing, who are the relevant people making the decisions and any other information you find necessary.

Thanks for any assistance !

xylene

I am reporting your post because you have included sensitive and highly identifiable personal information that is NOT relevant to getting advice.

quincy

I would appreciate your help, I am running out of options.

My name is Tom Van Dijk, I live in Holland and I am a freelance car dealer.

I invested almost all of my money and savings in buying an asset in New York with my partner 7 years ago.

The asset was rented for years and I earned the same amount of money agreed with my partner until a few months ago when my partner decided he wants to sell the asset.

We signed a letter of agreement in July 2012 claiming that if we sell the asset I will get 70% back of the deal and my partner will get 30%.

I didn't want to sell it, which lead to a conflict. Eventually, he sold the asset behind my back without paying me a cent.

He was written as the sole owner of the asset because I was abroad during the closing deal, unfortunately, I trusted my partner to act for the best interest of both of us.

I filed a lawsuit a few years ago at the New York Supreme Court and my partner won the case. The judges claimed that the letter of agreement is not a real contract and is not valid due to the statute of limitations.

I want to file an appeal. I have been told that if I do so the sitting will occur in the first department of the court of appeal in New York.

I will truly appreciate it if someone could provide me information regarding the appealing process and decision making in order to understand if I have any chance.

I would like to understand the exact process of appealing, who are the relevant people making the decisions and any other information you find necessary.

Thanks for any assistance !
If you lost the lawsuit you filed “a few years ago” because it was determined a valid contract did not exist and your filing was outside the statute of limitations period for filing anyway, I do not see that you have anything to appeal.

I hope you have dissolved whatever partnership you had.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">