• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Assult happened but never called the cops. But he was arrested

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tpatzo

Fixed it. There is nothing "normal" about being an abuser or a victim. And as much as we'd wish that DV didn't exist, we certainly don't want to give the impression that male victims are "abnormal"! (Calling abusers of any gender "abnormal", in the sense that abuse is unacceptable, is another thing. :mad:)

There are statistical records - "usually" when those reported exceed 50% of the cases.

Back to Patzo: "Sisters before misters." If your boyfriend is slapping around his other honey in Minnesota, ditch him and get therapy. Most self-respecting women would rather play second banana to no one.
here's the problem she's going to try to fight this. She's going to say it never happened.

Tpatzo

Can someone call the cops on me and say I hit them to & I really didn't.

Yes. However, if there isn't any evidence that you hit them, likely nothing would come of it. In this case, there was some evidence that she was assaulted and her own testimony (to her brother) as to who did it.

If this is the BF from your other thread you really need to ditch this guy.
no I'm in Arizona she's in Minnesota.

Tpatzo

She's going to tell the courts that her brother don't like her bf and he made the full thing up. That's y I asked this question to begin with. I don't want her to lie to the courts and get a contempt charge. She thinks sense the cops weren't called that the state won't press charges as their isn't enough evidence. Can the courts subpoena the hospital records? She didn't say who hit her.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Frankly, I'm confused.

The Minnesota honey can chose not to testify against the boyfriend. The DA can proceed using whatever evidence they have. She was hospitalized, so there might be physical evidence (DNA).

Yes, the courts can subpoena hospital records. They may already have.

This is not your legal issue. Your friend is going todo whatever she does. But you can help her by looking up resources for victims of domestic violence. People in these situations have a tendency to push away those who don't "support" their dysfunctional relationship. Do what you can to help her, and stay available and open when she needs help to leave.

Tpatzo

Understand that in a criminal proceeding it is not the "Victim" vs. "Defendant." It is society that is harmed by criminal behavior and it is the state that prosecutes against the criminal. It is not uncommon that DV cases go forward without a complaint by the victim (or in the light of subsequent recants).
ya cases can be prosecuted without the victims going to court. She's going to tell the courts it's never happened and her brother called his po cause he don't like her bf.

Tpatzo

Frankly, I'm confused.

The Minnesota honey can chose not to testify against the boyfriend. The DA can proceed using whatever evidence they have. She was hospitalized, so there might be physical evidence (DNA).

This is not your legal issue. Your friend is going todo whatever she does. But you can help her by looking up resources for victims of domestic violence. People in these situations have a tendency to push away those who don't "support" their dysfunctional relationship. Do what you can to help her, and stay available and open when she needs help to leave.
That's the problem she's wanting to fight the charges. She's going to tell the court it never happened. That her brother didn't like her bf and Called the po to get
Are you one of the ones involved in the story you tell?

Anyone can report a crime.
no

Tpatzo

Frankly, I'm confused.

She don't want to leave. She wants him to be out of jail. He does have 1 prior assult charge to. This won't look good. She's going to tell the courts that her brother don't like her bf and made it up to get him arrested. She thinks cause she didn't call the cops that their isn't enough evidence

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Just because she tells the authorities nothing happened doesn't mean they're going to pay any attention to her. It's not her choice whether they prosecute or not.

And the word is perjure.

Tpatzo

ya ya spelling. I'm trying to tell her they can still press charges even if the cops weren't called. Even if she didn't give the name at the hospital.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">