• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

At the mercy of a crazy person

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

junebug48

What is the name of your state? Nevada

I handle all business matters for my employer's 4 companies, including one successful law firm.

The company we used in 2006 for payroll agreed to contact IRS regarding a matter for one of the companies, for a fee of $100. I was to receive copies of any correspondence they sent for my records. This was back in 2006.

I recently received a notice from IRS requesting a specific tax return, so I contacted the payroll service to follow up, as I had never received copies of their correspondence. We no longer use this payroll service, so I was very cautious as to how I approached them.

Long story short - they claim I received the copies a month ago, and additional copies are being held hostage for the $100 fee. The owner of the service now refuses to deal with me anymore because she has a "gut feeling" that I'm embezzling. What? How did she get that from my simply asking for copies of a letter? She told an associate of mine this, and is insisting on speaking to my employer about it. I HAVE NEVER DEALT WITH THIS LADY BEFORE. The allegations are completely unfounded, and if my employer DOES catch wind of this falsehood, as untrue as it is, it will create doubt in her mind about my trustworthiness. Even if I don't lose my job, that doubt will always be there.

This lady is harrassing my boss by leaving foul messages on our voicemail about me, and will not let this go, even after she was asked to do so by the 2nd in command. She's completely butt hurt that we aren't using their expensive service, and doesn't like that I brought so many errors to their attention. I don't believe she will stop until she's dragged my name thru the mud. I am highly upset because I've worked SO hard to get where I am, and there has never been ONE SINGLE DOUBT about my trustworthiness or ethics my entire working career. I'm trusted with managing over $17mil. This could really damage my career if this lady gets her way.

If I wasn't a professional, she would get an ear full right now. I know I said, "butt hurt," but I really am professional. :) There is just no other explanation of her behavior.

Because I want to protect my employer's good name, I now have to put up with the trashing of mine. How do I protect myself and my employer at the same time? Let it go and hope that this lady does, too?

AlanShore

You should go clean with your boss and not keep things from her. Then ask her to get a lawyer from the law firm she owns to help you out on this matter. You get more respect by coming clean and asking for help when theres something you can't handle on your own.

BelizeBreeze

What is the name of your state? Nevada

I handle all business matters for my employer's 4 companies, including one successful law firm.

The company we used in 2006 for payroll agreed to contact IRS regarding a matter for one of the companies, for a fee of $100. I was to receive copies of any correspondence they sent for my records. This was back in 2006.

I recently received a notice from IRS requesting a specific tax return, so I contacted the payroll service to follow up, as I had never received copies of their correspondence. We no longer use this payroll service, so I was very cautious as to how I approached them.

Long story short - they claim I received the copies a month ago, and additional copies are being held hostage for the $100 fee. The owner of the service now refuses to deal with me anymore because she has a "gut feeling" that I'm embezzling. What? How did she get that from my simply asking for copies of a letter? She told an associate of mine this, and is insisting on speaking to my employer about it. I HAVE NEVER DEALT WITH THIS LADY BEFORE. The allegations are completely unfounded, and if my employer DOES catch wind of this falsehood, as untrue as it is, it will create doubt in her mind about my trustworthiness. Even if I don't lose my job, that doubt will always be there.

This lady is harrassing my boss by leaving foul messages on our voicemail about me, and will not let this go, even after she was asked to do so by the 2nd in command. She's completely butt hurt that we aren't using their expensive service, and doesn't like that I brought so many errors to their attention. I don't believe she will stop until she's dragged my name thru the mud. I am highly upset because I've worked SO hard to get where I am, and there has never been ONE SINGLE DOUBT about my trustworthiness or ethics my entire working career. I'm trusted with managing over $17mil. This could really damage my career if this lady gets her way.

If I wasn't a professional, she would get an ear full right now. I know I said, "butt hurt," but I really am professional. :) There is just no other explanation of her behavior.

Because I want to protect my employer's good name, I now have to put up with the trashing of mine. How do I protect myself and my employer at the same time? Let it go and hope that this lady does, too?
And DID this other company accuse you of a crime to your boss or other managers?

junebug48

Thank you!

You should go clean with your boss and not keep things from her.
Yes, I realize that now. She does know that we are being harrassed by this woman, but she doesn't know to what extent. The manager I'm working with on this fears the worst, however I should give my boss the benefit of the doubt. This woman is clearly trying to move the focus off of her and on to me. I shouldn't assume what my boss' reaction will be based on her past behaviors.
You get more respect by coming clean and asking for help when theres something you can't handle on your own.
Because this lady is CLEARLY crazy, and the reputations/business relationships at stake here (i.e. she says she's on the BOD of the bank we do business with) this is something I SHOULDN'T handle on my own. Believe me, if this only affected me I would have already put this lady in her place by now. There is a team of people in place to try and resolve issues before they get to the top. We're trying to keep a mad woman at bay here. If she doesn't back off, I guess we'll have no choice than to go to the boss with this, for her protection as well. And if she doesn't believe in me, I suppose I may have to move on.

I just want to make sure I know exactly what I can do to protect myself. I have a lot to lose if this doesn't blow over.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">