• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Attempt to collect 10 year old CC debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

the_mcclenneys

What is the name of your state? California

I have an old debt from Citibank. Last activity was is 1992, It is not on my credit report anymore. Debt has been purchased by a collection company and I received a form letter asking for a responce with-in 30 days. Is the Statute of Limitations in effect here? After the verification request is sent, what is next? What do I tell them the next time they call?

bigun

According to www.creditinfocenter.com the SOL in Ca. is 4 years. I would send a letter {CRRR} saying the debt is well past the SOL and you are reporting them to the FTC and your states AG's office for attempting to collect a debt that is uncollectable. And do so. You may file a online complaint with the FTC at www.ftc.gov. It'll only take a few minutes.

I'd also add in the letter to never contact you about this again. BTW, is this CAMCO?

T

the_mcclenneys

Bullseye!

You got it. CAMCO. I just finished printing and editing the Sample letters 9 and 7 as suggested in the Florida question earlier. Should I not worry about the "Request to Validate" letter? Just send the other one?

JETX

No, send both the validation and cease letters. After all, it is possible that they are claiming something other than the original debt. For example, it is possible that a judgment was rendered as to the debt (very unlikely) and if it was, then the judgment itself could still be valid (different SOL).

T

the_mcclenneys

Thank you

So I'll send both letters, but do I send them at the same time in different envelopes, Registered mail?

Will they call me again, and what should I say?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">