• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

attorney made an error

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

weenieheadgnome

What is the name of your state? CT I sold my condo and purchased a house, same attorney for both closings. Now over a month later I get a letter from the attorney stating she gave me too much money in my settlement check and wants $6400.00 back!!! Do I have to give the money back (assuming she's correct)?

Last edited:

Bigfoot

If you don't have one, ask for a copy of the HUD-1 statement used at closing to determine the expenses. Then, ask the attorney to provide you the exact line item that s/he is referring to.

HomeGuru

weenieheadgnome said:
What is the name of your state? CT I sold my condo and purchased a house, same attorney for both closings. Now over a month later I get a letter from the attorney stating she gave me too much money in my settlement check and wants $6400.00 back!!! Do I have to give the money back (assuming she's correct)?
**A: if she is correct, you do have to give the money back.

W

weenieheadgnome

even if she signed the HUD saying info true and acurate? Seems to me she should eat her mistake.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">