• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Attorney refuses to work case or return money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

NNC

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? NC

About a year and a half ago my 16 yr old daughter was charged with a misdemeanor. The end result was that she did some community service and the charge was dismissed. Unfortunately, because the charge still shows up when a criminal search was done, she has already lost out on one potential job. When we realized that this would be a problem, we hired an attorney to have the charge esponged. We were told in the beginning that this process would take approximately three months. When five months had gone by, we began calling the attorney to check the status of the case. We called twice a week for two months and could never get anyone on the phone who could tell us anything. The last time I called, I indicated to the person to whom I was speaking that we were becoming increasingly suspicous that we were being scammed and that we were considering filing a complaint with the State. At no time were any of these conversations anything but cordial. Within ten minutes, the attorney called me. He was going nuts....screaming at me, telling me that he doesn't take threats from anyone, who do I think I am, etc. He told me to pick up the file that day with a refund check because he refused to work for anybody who threatened him. About two hours later, my husband went to the attorney's office to pick up the file and the check as instructed, but when the attorney found out that my husband was there he called the police to have him removed for trespassing. Now we don't know what to do... we don't dare call there again, or go to the office. Any advice, opinions, suggestions?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">