• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

attorney

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hyden

What is the name of your state? TX
i have a question about my attorney, i entered no written agreement, the understanding was that there was a $1500 charge. i did understand that there could be additional fees depending on how difficult and so on and so forth, but our Chapter 7 was discharged in July, 2003 and we received a $2000 bill from our attorney, how are we supposed to pay that? Clearly we have issues with disposable income or we would have been Ch 13, please help what do we do?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

hyden said:
What is the name of your state? TX
i have a question about my attorney, i entered no written agreement, the understanding was that there was a $1500 charge. i did understand that there could be additional fees depending on how difficult and so on and so forth, but our Chapter 7 was discharged in July, 2003 and we received a $2000 bill from our attorney, how are we supposed to pay that? Clearly we have issues with disposable income or we would have been Ch 13, please help what do we do?

My response:

In order for anyone to answer your vague and ambiguous questions, we'd either have to be mindreaders or play "20 Questions" with you.

We aren't, and we won't.

IAAL

H

hyden

what do you mean vague and ambiguous, i was wanting to know if that is normal? i thought $3500 was a little much for people who are broke!

"i am a little confused, did you actually read the question?"

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

hyden said:
what do you mean vague and ambiguous, i was wanting to know if that is normal? i thought $3500 was a little much for people who are broke!

"i am a little confused, did you actually read the question?"

My response:

Hyden, I am a very intelligent attorney. You can be assured that I have thoroughly read your post.

You initially asked, "how are we supposed to pay that?" That's a vague and ambiguous question. Then you asked, "Clearly we have issues with disposable income or we would have been Ch 13, please help what do we do?" That's another vague and ambiguous question.

We don't know you or your current financial situation, nor your employment income situation. Additionally, your post starts off with a $1,500 estimate, then the bill jumps to $2,000. Then, in your post above, it somehow magically increases to $3,500. However, certainly you knew that you'd be owing "something", and not expecting legal work for free.

We're not going to ask you innumerable questions about these matters, or the many other questions you'll need answered.

Good luck.

IAAL

Ladynred

IAAL - isn't some kind of retainer agreement - or whatever it would be called, customary, even for a bankruptcy ? Something that outlines Terms and conditions and spells out a fee structure ?

I realize not all lawyers operate the same way, but of all the types to buy services from, I'd expect a lawyer to get it all in writing up front.

I'd be asking the lawyer for a complete itemization of his charges and what that $3500 is all for.

A

anadude

a written and signed agreement is required in some states, like alabama, or the attorney is subject to disciplinary action from the bar.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">