• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Aunt made beneficiary of life insurance policies owned by my Father

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lifevalues

undefinedWhat is the name of your state? Alabama My Father died 20 years ago and had several life insurance policies he owned at a company. Some of those policies he made my Aunt the beneficiary of because my Mother was disabled and my brother (also disabled) and I were teenagers. My Aunt claimed his death benefit and other policies that my mother, brother and I were insured for. We did not receive any of the claims from these policies. Does my fathers immediate family have any rights to these insurance policy claims? Recently finding out about 1 of the policies my Mom was insured for which yet another Aunt claimed(having no policy to bury my Mom with). Is it possible that a beneficiary can change the beneficiary of a policy even if they are not the owner? As my fathers daughter and guardian of my brother do I have any rights to see records of these policies. Please Help! Thanks.

BelizeBreeze

Your post is confusing as hell.

But, that being said, the beneficiary of an insurance policy owns the benefits derived therefrom. The policy does not pass to probate if a beneficiary is named.

ALawyer

20 years is one heck of a long time to raise the issue. Statutes of limitation would have run a decade or more ago, and even if there was fraud, if you knew or should have known you may be out of luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">