• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Aunt took control of my Dad’s life insurance, may be slowly cutting me out

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CoffeeBeans

My estranged father was dying of cancer. He reached out and we reconnected during his last days. He let me know he had a life insurance policy for me (125k). In the coming weeks, his sister convinced him to change the beneficiary to her (I suspect she claimed I would be irresponsible with such a large sum). From what I heard from other family members, the plan she made with my father was that she would purchase property in another state, use a property management company to rent it out and that would provide me with sustained additional income.
Of course, after his passing the plan she claimed was different. She claimed that the income was meant to be split between her and I, so she could use half to support our large extended family in a 3rd world country (she has always been a provider for them). I didnt object because I felt powerless, as she already had the money. She bought the property without any input from me and without my name on anything. For some reason, she only wanted to provide my half of the rental payments to me through western union, and would do it on a 3 month basis (1k every 3 months).
Payments were often very late and stopped completely for maybe 6 months during an eviction period (I suspect partial payments were made that I never saw). Now that we have new renters, there’s a new excuse not to pay me my full half for this first 3 month period (“a new heater and other expenses”). I feel like this is the beginning of her cutting me out completely.
I have been basically been playing dead. No complaints as I don’t know what, if any, power I have here. Do I have any recourse? I have nothing except western union receipts of payments and basic texts from her saying when I should be expecting payments. Nothing concrete saying “you own half of this,” even though through phone conversations she reassures this assertion..

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It was nice of your aunt to give you money when she, apparently, had no legal obligation to do so. She doesn't need any excuses to not pay you anything, as the prior payments were gifts that she no longer feels like giving.

Dandy Don

What state is this in?

Did your father manage his financial affairs himself (pay his own bills, etc.) or had his sister or anyone else been given a Power of Attorney signed by him that gave the POA authority to handle his financial affairs?

Are there other assets in your father's estate (besides the life insurance) and did he leave a last will and testament that is going to be probated in court?

Has sister received the insurance payout yet or is the payment pending?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">