• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Authentication by U.S. Department of State

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sebastian 1504

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA

Hi,
we need to get the divorce certificate of my girlfriend authenticated by the U.S. Department of State.
Until now I thought that we would need to get a certified copy of the divorce decree and get it authenticated by the Secretary of State before we send it to Washington D.C. for authentication by the Department of State.

Today I got an Email from the U.S. Department of State wit some general informations about authentication.

Under requirements they write:
"Signed before a notary public"
and
"All dates must follow in chronological order on the notary, clerk of court and Secretary of Stae certifications".

We are both not from the U.S. and we simply don't know what we have to do to fullfill the requirement regarding the "notary public".
As to my informations a notary public cannot notarize a divorce decree. That's why we need to get a certified copy, I am right?
So what do we then have to sign in front of the notary public and when??

Please help us,

Bye

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">