• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

auto accident insurance report question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aces57

CHP refused to take a report in my accident since it happened on private property. But it didn't matter as I had a dash-cam that caught the other driver driving recklessly. Good thing because she lied and blamed me for her own stupidity. Her insurance settled quickly for $15k after viewing the video. If it weren't for the dash-cam, there's a good chance it would've been ruled 50-50.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yes, you should report it to your insurance company because it's possible that the other driver will report it, despite what he says.
That is NOT the reason the OP should report it. The OP should report it because the OP is contractually obligated to advise his insurance company when there is a risk like this.

FlyingRon

Your dash cam, the fact that it took place on private property, that CHP refused to investigate, that it wasn't your fault, that the other side paid, yada, yada doesn't obviate your need to file the SR-1.

Zigner

Your dash cam, the fact that it took place on private property, that CHP refused to investigate, that it wasn't your fault, that the other side paid, yada, yada doesn't obviate your need to file the SR-1.
I agree, but will note that this only applies if there is over $1,000 worth of damage to any party, or any injury.

velive

Hi everyone. I'm glad to say I'm able to close this thread with good news. Originally the other driver lied and said I was the one who hit him, but I just got a call from the insurance adjuster saying he confessed to lying and admitted he hit me. I imagine this doesn't happen very often, so I thought I had better record it here - at least there was one instance! Thanks again to everyone who answered my original questions and contributed to this thread.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Hi everyone. I'm glad to say I'm able to close this thread with good news. Originally the other driver lied and said I was the one who hit him, but I just got a call from the insurance adjuster saying he confessed to lying and admitted he hit me. I imagine this doesn't happen very often, so I thought I had better record it here - at least there was one instance! Thanks again to everyone who answered my original questions and contributed to this thread.
I have had this happen to me a couple of times. When the other party has admitted their fault it certainly makes me feel more charitable towards them.

In one case, I was rear-ended while waiting at a stoplight, and the other party admitted to the police that he had been distracted and hadn't noticed the red light, etc. I felt really sorry for him because his wife was really nasty on the phone when he called her. (No, wasn't trying to listen - she was really LOUD.)

In another case, the other party admitted to the police that he had pulled away from the curb without looking out of his side window; he'd glanced in the rear view mirror, not out the window. He was issued a citation.

In both cases I could say kind words to the people before leaving the scene, as they were very polite and honest about what happened.

(I've also experienced cases where the other party was... less agreeable. It's annoying when people hit your car and then wonder why you're making a fuss.)

I am glad that the other party in your case eventually told the truth. These things are stressful under the best circumstances. I hope things go more smoothly for you from here.

Zigner

I've only ever had one instance of the other party not telling the truth - and that includes an incident where the car in front of me backed in to me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">