• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

auto accident while working

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

joeysmom2003

California
A friend of mine works with the developmentally disabled and was driving home from picking up one of his clients in inclimate weather. He had an accident, no other drivers were involved and he was not under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Thankfully neither he nor his client were injured but there was extensive damage to his vehicle. His employer is not willing to pick up any of the tab, since he was driving his own vehicle. I always figured that since he was on a work related trip, essentially "on the clock" then it was the employers responsibility, he can not afford to hire a lawyer, basicly he just wants to know what the next step is to keep from being taken to the cleaners

J

joeysmom2003

I dont know what "bying a rider" means but I am not certain what his policy entails, I am more interested in what responsibility his employer has since he was working.

M

mztrgutz

his employer has no responsibly ---the employer should of told him to add a rider to his policy--------he should be glad there were no injuries ,he would be sued for that also

racer72

Your friend needs to file a claim with his insurance and if they decide that the employer could be held liable, the insurance company will go after the employer for reimbursement. There is no legal requirement for the employer to provide auto insurance for employees while on the clock, in fact, I would not be surprised if the employer required the employee to be insured prior to carrying clients. And in the situation you describe, how could the employer be found liable for the accident, it appears your friend's negligence caused the accident.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">