• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto Accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



A few weeks ago, I was in a car accident (in North Carolina). I was at a red light in the left turn lane. When the light turned green, I thought I had the right of way, and proceeded to make my turn. I didn't even see the other car until it hit me. It had been coming from the opposite direction and hit my passenger door. My first thought was that the other driver ran a red light, but I later found out from the officer on scene that I didn't have a green arrow, and I was supposed to yield to traffic. I was cited for failure to see that a left turn could be made safely. Since then, I have found out that there are times when the arrow is in use. (The light is the kind that has two lights side by side for green, one with an arrow, one full green, two of the same lights for yellow, and one for red at the top) Being new to the area, I had been through the intersection in the past when there is a right of way arrow in use, and at the time of the accident, it was dark, and the right of way arrow is apparently not in use anymore after dark. (If this sounds odd to you, I'm glad, because it sounds odd to me too.) Anyway, my question is, does anyone think I have a chance if I try to fight the ticket in court? Or should I just pay the fine? At any rate, I think something should be done about this intersection. Even the officer told me that there are accidents at that intersection all the time, and there have been complaints made to the city, but nothing has been done. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.



very hard to fight them; but in motor accident they technically need to get witness there, which in your casemeans the other driver, who will probably not show. consider getting an atty. also, if insurance will pay $$,then DA will pby drop.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential