• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

auto accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



I am in PA, more specific in Philadelphia, the so-called brotherly-love city. :-(

I was involved in an auto accident, which was completely the other party's fault. I have police report and the other party's insureance company and policy......

The insurance company (of the other party) told me that the person involved in the accident had canceled her insurance one month before the accident! Of course, the company is not going to pay me. (This apparently happens very often here! People only purchase their insurance for registration.)

I am thinking of suing the person. (If you know any other way to recover my damage, pls let me know.)

1)Where should I go? (traffic court or small claim court? the court in my township or the other person's township or the township where the accident happened?)
2)How long do I have to file the sue, before I mighy lost my right to sue? (I am extramely busy now.)
3)Do I need a lawyer?
4)Can I ask my insurance company go to after the person or I have to do it myself. (I know that my insurance company can pay me and go after the other insurance company).

Thanks in advance.

Victim of 2001



Save yourself the trouble. Under federal law, your insurance company cannot raise your rates if you go after them for recovery when it was the other party's fault.

You can sue personally in small claims if your damages are below the jurisdictional amount. otherwise, state court.

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.


additional info

I forgot to mention that the damage is about $2,000 for
my car damage only.

victim 2001

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential