• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

auto accidentf

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tegaunt

I was involved in a car accident in Indiana. I have no insurance, the accident was the other drivers fault. I know I will lose my licence, but what else should I expect? I have been told by people that since I have no insurance than the other insurance company will try to blame me. Is this true?

C

cdcard

Dear tegant:
Yikes! Sorry to hear about your accident; hope you're OK. If the other driver hit you, that driver is liable. Some states have enacted laws that say uninsured drivers can't collect for bodily injury; however, I doubt many states have laws that say uninsured driver can't collect for property damage. Consider making a claim on the insurance company for the other driver. If Indiana law says you can't collect, the insurance company will let you know. In the meantime, also consider talking with a local attorney who knows Indiana law to find out where you stand. You may be able to collect on everything; you may not lose your license; who knows? When you don't know where you stand, ask the experts! And just because you talk to an attorney doesn't mean you have to hire one; just pay one for his/her consultation time. If you have bodily injuries and Indiana law doesn't preclude you from recovery, an attorney may take this on a contingency fee basis, which means you won't have to pay fees until the settlement check is cashed. But act fast; if you blow your statute of limitations (ie, the time frame in which you can sue), you definintely won't get anything. Good luck to you!
Very truly yours,
cdcard

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">