• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto Acciedent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Thomas678

I live in Georgia this morning I was travelling to work, took a right turn going southbound, at the intersection the light was Red going Northbound by traffic was kinda heavy I proceeded to make a left turn because the cars left a space for uncoming traffic to make turn into Gas station at the corner of the intersection, as I proceeded through the opening I paused to see if any on coming traffic was coming and then proceeded forward as I proceeded a vechile collided with mine basically ripping off my entire bumper, the other vechile sustained damage to the front corner panel of vechile located where the door opens at the hinge, police arrived and wrote me a citation stating that I failed to yield to the right of way of on coming traffic which I feel is very inconsistent with the damages and the officer also claims that I was a fault for the collision in which I feel is also incorrect, the light up ahead was Red and I seen the vechile in the other lane behind 3 other cars

Last edited:

CdwJava

In general, the party turning left across another lane of traffic is required to yield to oncoming traffic and to make such a turn only when it is safe to do so. Getting struck by an oncoming vehicle in the lane you are crossing is often prima facie evidence of an unsafe turn.

Are you saying that the vehicle that struck you ran a red light?

CdwJava

Also I recieved an estimate that stated that the driver struck me vs me striking them.
If you cut in front of them, then it's still on you. Unless you can show that the other vehicle somehow zipped past those other vehicles and blew the light, I'm afraid you're going to lose on that one. But, I don't have all the details or a collision report to review.

As I said, in general, if you turn across another lane of traffic YOU will be at fault for any collision with oncoming traffic.

Thomas678

If you cut in front of them, then it's still on you. Unless you can show that the other vehicle somehow zipped past those other vehicles and blew the light, I'm afraid you're going to lose on that one. But, I don't have all the details or a collision report to review.

As I said, in general, if you turn across another lane of traffic YOU will be at fault for any collision with oncoming traffic.

Thomas678

Well that sucks for me I guess it gonna have to be settled between the insurance company I mean I think the driver clearly ran into me as they passed the other cars proceeding in the turning lane going northbound and she was on her cell phone but I guess the rule stating

PayrollHRGuy

Just so we have this straight.

You were turning left onto a street across a left turn lane where someone had left a hole for you to do so. Then a car in the left or driving lane on the other side of the left turn lane hit you. Is that correct? If so, 100% your fault.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Well that sucks for me I guess it gonna have to be settled between the insurance company I mean I think the driver clearly ran into me as they passed the other cars proceeding in the turning lane going northbound and she was on her cell phone but I guess the rule stating
She had the right of way. You did not. You are expected to yield to those with the right of way.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">