• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

auto claim liability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

disgusted

in october 1998 i was involved in an auto accident in which there were no injuries. i struck a parked van so i was clearly at fault.damages to both vehicies was approximatly $1000 each. the police were called and an accident report was completed. i was not ticketed because the officer said the van was abandoned and illegally parked.rather than file aclaim for my damages on my car i repaired my own vehicle.several months later i recieved a letter from the other gentlemans insurance carrier telling me that my insurance had been canceled for three months prior to the accident.i then checked with my carrier and was told same,i recieved no cancellation notice or intent not to renue notice.i was told that i was liable for all damages.the night of the accident the police officer ran my liecense and it was not suspended.in florida when your auto insurance policy is cancelled or not renuwed your liecense is suspended.i reported this accident to my insurance carrier promptly and no mention was made of my policy being cancelled until three or four weeks later.i tried several times to get my previous insurer to pay but to no avail.now i have been notified by the other persons insurance lawyer that if i dont pay within 72 hours ill be sued for amount plus court costs and attorneys fees.should i play ball and pay or try and fight this ? signed ron smith

L

lars coltrane

How are you going to fight the claim when you admit that you are at fault.

The real issue is once you pay, how do you get your own insurance company to reimburse you (i.e. how do you uncancel the policy). For that, you will need to call lawyers, bring your policy and the notices (if any) and see what they advise.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">