• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto dealer denied me information

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Calirnornia

I called my auto dealer and asked for the vin number and engine number. He claimed it was against the law to disclose that info with me because the car is under my fiancé’s name. Is it illegal for him to give me the vin, engine number and mileage when car was purchased?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member

I called my auto dealer and asked for the vin number and engine number. He claimed it was against the law to disclose that info with me because the car is under my fiancé’s name. Is it illegal for him to give me the vin, engine number and mileage when car was purchased?
California has the most extensive set of privacy laws of any state in the country. However, in skimming over the various laws that California has I don't see any that specifically prohibit a car deal from disclosing that information. That said, a smart car dealer is not going to disclose that information about a car it sold to someone other than the actual buyer of the car, and here that appears to be your fiancé. It opens the dealer up to at possible claims of negligence should the person to whom it gives that information ends up misusing it and ends up causing the buyer harm. It also, of course, risks ticking off the customer, which may result in loss of future business. No law requires the dealer to give you that information, so if the dealer refuses to give it to you there is no way to force it to do so. Have your fiancé contact the dealer to get that information.

adjusterjack

No, it's not illegal for him to give it to you but there is no law compelling him to do so. People often say things are illegal so that other people will go away without giving them an argument.

Why do you need the VIN and why can't you just look on the car for it. It's on the corner of the dash and probably on the door as well. And why the engine number?

There's more to this story than you are telling.

T

The dealers refusal shows that he's a responsible businessman because legality aside, it's none of your business.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">