• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto Insurance law question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tdg119

My hometown is in PA and I have lived there for 13+ years. Recently I started working in NJ and hold a full time job in NJ now. I am 19 yrs old, renting in NJ in the meantime but have no permanent residence here yet. I am also about to buy a 2001 Jeep Wrangler, in NJ, but I would like to know if there are any laws against me staying on my parents insurance plan since I am working in NJ and renting here. If there is a law, then does it give me a certain time period before I have to find NJ insurance? Also, does where my car is registered affect it? It will be registered in NJ since I am buying it here. Do I have to get a NJ drivers license because of where my vehicle will be registered?
I plan on purchasing this vehicle in the next few days if this information is answered in a quick manor. Anyone who could answer it with the right, lawful answers, would be much appreciated. Please feel free to email me at [email protected] to let me know the answers to these questions.

ALawyer

The REAL answer is if you are BOTH the owner and driver you are supposed to have the car licensed and insured in the state in which you live --- have a lawful residence. If you are really renting in NJ that's the answer. If your PARENTS were the legal owners of the car (even if they bought the car with your money), and lent it to you, then you probably could get away with having PA tags and PA insurance -- indeed as an extra car which you drove on their existing policy. That would be a lot cheaper in most cases.

As a 19 year old it will be hard to buy insurance in NJ anway -- NJ is a very hard state for insurance companies to do business in and many do not want to or to take on more business, specially from 19 year olds. Rates vary significantly from state to state.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">