• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto Insurance Leased Vehicle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KevinNJ789

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

I co-signed on a four-year leased Jeep Wrangler for a friend in September 2018 state of New Jersey. I discovered after the fact that I am the main Lessee and my friend the Co-Lessee. When I signed the paperwork last year, I told the dealer I was just the co-signer, but in actuality I ended up being the main signer because I have excellent credit and the friend has poor credit. I also found out after the fact that I as listed as the owner on the vehicle registration. I never even drove the Jeep and do not have a set of keys.

My friend verbally agreed to pay the monthly lease payment of $489 since she was the lone driver. Everything was going well for the first six months. She was making the payments each month, some months late, but still making all the payments. Then she ran into financial difficulties in addition to a DUI arrest during the summer. The case is ongoing and she may lose her driver’s license for anywhere from 3 to 6 months in the near future. During the last six months, I have been making half the payments, or all the payments.

Then she drops the news on me about her auto insurance that she has been paying all along has been raised from $200 a month to like $1,400 a month because of the DUI arrest and various tickets. Surprised it was not cancelled. She asked if she could put the Jeep under my insurance and this time I refused. If I listed her as driver, I would be struck paying this crazy premium. If I do not tell my insurance company about her being the lone driver, I commit insurance application fraud. Her auto insurance actually expired a day or two ago I just discovered last night. I hope she has the sense not to drive it. Since this is a leased vehicle, full insurance is required.

I already spoke to the dealer about returning the Jeep. Found out there is a return charge of about $7,000 base. I do not need her signature if I decided to return the Jeep I was told. We still owe about $16,000 in payments over the next three years. I want to either return the Jeep, or just take over total control of the Jeep and insure it as myself the lone driver. She wants no part of this since she would no longer would have a vehicle and forced to reply on Uber or friends to get around. We are still communicating, but not sure when the communications will stop.

Comments, advise, direction very much appreciated. Thanks!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You could buy out the lease and have your friend transfer her ownership to you so that you would solely own the Jeep. You could do this as a refi.

KevinNJ789

Are you listed as the sole owner on the title/registration or a co-owner with your friend?
The Leased Vehicle Registration actually has the co-lessee name and address, not my name/address after all (the registration states she is the "Lessee"). I verified with the Leasing Company today that I am the main "Lessee" and she is just the "Co-Lessee". Leasing Company further tells me either one of us may be listed on the Leased Vehicle Registration and since she is the lone driver her name appears.

bcr229

Then she drops the news on me about her auto insurance that she has been paying all along has been raised from $200 a month to like $1,400 a month because of the DUI arrest and various tickets. Surprised it was not cancelled. She asked if she could put the Jeep under my insurance and this time I refused. If I listed her as driver, I would be struck paying this crazy premium. If I do not tell my insurance company about her being the lone driver, I commit insurance application fraud. Her auto insurance actually expired a day or two ago I just discovered last night. I hope she has the sense not to drive it. Since this is a leased vehicle, full insurance is required.

I already spoke to the dealer about returning the Jeep. Found out there is a return charge of about $7,000 base. I do not need her signature if I decided to return the Jeep I was told. We still owe about $16,000 in payments over the next three years. I want to either return the Jeep, or just take over total control of the Jeep and insure it as myself the lone driver. She wants no part of this since she would no longer would have a vehicle and forced to reply on Uber or friends to get around. We are still communicating, but not sure when the communications will stop.
See the part in bold? You are expecting someone with bad credit, a bad driving record, and a DUI to start making good decisions. Not going to happen if her alternative is bumming rides with friends or hoofing it. Plus, if the insurance has lapsed at best the leasing dealer will likely insure it once they find out, and you will get stuck paying that premium since it will be based on both your and her driving record, or at worst the leasing dealer may repo the car for breach of contract.

Do you have a copy of the contract? If so the vehicle VIN should be on it, and you can go to the dealer and get a key made so you can take the car.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">