• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

auto insurance liability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cidra

What is the name of your state? New York

i have purchased a new vehicle and am giving the old one to a relative, who has had traffic violations in the past. My old vehicle is still insured & registered under my name, and the title is still in my name. Both cars are on the road under my name

I plan to A) sign the title over to the relative and have him sign it too, B) cancel insurnace & registration & return plates from the old car to the DMV.

If i do all this and the relative takes ownership of the car and drives it around illegally (without insurance or registration) , am i absolved of all liability if he were to have an accident or get a ticket? I want to help him but not if I could be potentially liable for his carelessness.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">