• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto Insurance On A Car I Don't Have

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

redheadrascal

My ex has a 1990 Dodge Shadow to which the title and registration are in both of our names and the insurance is under my policy. He refuses to remove my name claiming that it can't be done because of the PFA and no contact with me is allowed. I want to drop the isurance on it from my policy but I am afraid that the state will revoke the registrations on my other 2 cars for having an uninsured vehicle. Do I have any legal rights in this matter? Is there any way I can force him to take responsibility for his own vehicle?
I live in NE Pennsylvania.

Last edited:

ALawyer

Why not just go to the state DMV and explain it and get the state's advice as to how to get your name off the title. Then write a letter confirming it with a copy to him. Also, get your auto insurance company to advise you.

If your name is still on the title of a 12 year old car you may have liability should your ex get into an accident. And you are spending money buying insurance on a car you don't own or control.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">