• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto Insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

SamanthaT

I have been with my insurance agency for nearly 3 years. I leased a 2000 Jetta in 2000 and my husband was on the lease with me. We split up 3 months later, have not lived with each other in 1.5 years. I continued to pay everything for the Jetta. As his name was on the lease I had to continue using the Insurance Policy. I payed for the Jetta and he payed for his car. On January 8th, I gave him the quartely installment for him to pay as I was leaving for vacation the 10th. I returned the 27th and presumed everything was in order. For 2 weeks I kept asking for the recepit to no avail. I contacted the Insurance Co. and was told that he cancelled the policy as he got DWI at Christmas, thus my policy on the Jetta was cancelled. I immediately contacted my dealership and Volkswagon who told me the best way to get him off was to go ahead and purchase the vehicle, which is in process now. My insurance co: told me that my insurance policy has gone from $1,200 to $4,600 a year becasue I had a cancelled policy due to non-payment. I have a perfect clean record. I have contacted several other insurance agencies and have been told that I am being penalized becasue he cancelled the policy. I never recieved any notification from the Ins. Co. of this cancellation. They said that they sent 2 letters to him and his name was the primary name on the Insurance Policy. I need to know if there is anything that I can do as surely this cannot be fair that I get penalized for something that I had no control over. I am living in Ocean City the state of NJ, and would appreciate any information that you may have.

tammy8

Don't really think that there is much you can. You should have split your policy once you separated.

S

SamanthaT

I tried to get his name off, but it was a leased vehicle and I could not remove his name from the lease.

tammy8

I understand that you couldn't get his name off the vehicle but you could have taken out your own insurance policy and worst case put your ex husband as a named insured. You unforunately took the risk of ex husband cancelling the policy by staying on policy with him and not checking with insurance agency for updates on payments received. Maybe you can speak with your agent but don't expect them to do much since agencies hestitate to get in the middle of domestic problems.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">