• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto Lease contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tellis0

State of California.
Ford is suing me for the balance of a lease that went over miles. The full balance is $2831 now with court costs. I was planning on going to court, asking the judge for a lower settlement or payment plan, as I lost my job and am a student now. I spoke to the attorney suing me, and he said the lowest they'd take is $2400 or a payment plan of $100 a month for the full balance. Should I go to court and try to get something better ? I did contact them in May and offered them $1500, but they wouldn't take it and then I lost my job.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
State of California.
Ford is suing me for the balance of a lease that went over miles. The full balance is $2831 now with court costs. I was planning on going to court, asking the judge for a lower settlement or payment plan, as I lost my job and am a student now. I spoke to the attorney suing me, and he said the lowest they'd take is $2400 or a payment plan of $100 a month for the full balance. Should I go to court and try to get something better ? I did contact them in May and offered them $1500, but they wouldn't take it and then I lost my job.
That you are unemployed and a student really don't change the fact that you entered in to a contractual agreement that you did not honor. The judge will not order a lower amount, nor is she likely to order a payment plan. What will happen is that you will end up with a judgment against you for the FULL amount and that judgment will increase due to interest and additional costs.

quincy

State of California.
Trying to settle before trial is almost always the least expensive option. However, if you do not meet the terms of any settlement agreed to - or don't think you can meet the terms - it puts you in a worse position than you are in now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">