• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto ownership both names on title

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LdiJ

I see, well, it's a bit more nuanced than that. But, thank you for your opinion.
Can you refinance the car to put the loan in your name? I also have noticed that you have not answered the question as to who has been actually paying the car loan and other expenses (like car insurance). If it was you, many people would have a different opinion than if it was him.

Litigator22

He bought the car for me to use, I have been driving it and he drove our other vehicle. The loan is in his name, titled in both our names.
Some of what you report doesn't bear scrutiny. True, the vehicle could be registered in you sole name or jointly, but registration is not proof of ownership. Millions of motor vehicles are registered in names other than the true owners. The only legal evidence of ownership appears on the certificate of title and I seriously doubt that you have ever seen it. For one the certificate of title has been in the safe keeping of the lien holder since day one; and will remain so until the loan is paid in full.

As to the state of ownership:

Since you claim that he alone bought the car; that a loan was taken to complete the purchase, and most importantly you are not a party to that loan, then rest assured that your name will not appear on that certificate of title. Nor could he have had access to the certificate in order to have it submitted to DMV to be reissued to include your name.

PayrollHRGuy

For one the certificate of title has been in the safe keeping of the lien holder since day one; and will remain so until the loan is paid in full.

Is Maine a title holding state? The one place I could find a list quickly got my state wrong so I don't trust it.

bcr229

He bought the car for me to use, I have been driving it and he drove our other vehicle. The loan is in his name, titled in both our names.
So are you both on the title to both vehicles? Is the vehicle he's driving financed? Can you work out an equity/cash swap where you each get a car?

aldaron

"Some of what you report doesn't bear scrutiny. True, the vehicle could be registered in you sole name or jointly, but registration is not proof of ownership. Millions of motor vehicles are registered in names other than the true owners. The only legal evidence of ownership appears on the certificate of title and I seriously doubt that you have ever seen it. For one the certificate of title has been in the safe keeping of the lien holder since day one; and will remain so until the loan is paid in full."
Any time I've ever financed a car the DMV sends me a copy of the title usually in a different color and is stamped not official on it somewhere. Lien holder normally has the real title.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I see, well, it's a bit more nuanced than that. But, thank you for your opinion.
Well, no one can give you more info if you don't provide the "nuance". How much is the car worth? Can you afford the payments? Can you afford to buy him out?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Well, no one can give you more info if you don't provide the "nuance". How much is the car worth? Can you afford the payments? Can you afford to buy him out?
I suspect the "nuance" has to do with relationship drama, as opposed to legally relevant information.

Litigator22

A link to information on Maine’s law on titles was provided.
Okay, Q. Since you think it is of such vital importance as worthy of twice mentioning (to date) perhaps you'd care to tell us how this general information blog sponsored by the Bureau of Motor Vehicles for the State of Maine in any way relates to the OP's inquiry: "Can I hide the car until . . . .(blah, blah)"

Secondly, how the link can explain away the obvious anomaly of her claiming status as a co-owner of a motor vehicle that has been pledged to secure a loan to which she is not a party.

quincy

Okay, Q. Since you think it is of such vital importance as worthy of twice mentioning (to date) perhaps you'd care to tell us how this general information blog sponsored by the Bureau of Motor Vehicles for the State of Maine in any way relates to the OP's inquiry: "Can I hide the car until . . . .(blah, blah)"

Secondly, how the link can explain away the obvious anomaly of her claiming status as a co-owner of a motor vehicle that has been pledged to secure a loan to which she is not a party.
My post was a response to other posts on how a car title is held if the car is being financed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">