• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

auto repossession

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

ladyjb870

Arkansas - I am in default on an auto loan. I only have $1300 left on a $16,000 loan. I got behind on my payments after getting a divorce, in which the car was given to me & the debt remaining on the car. I had to quit my job due to medical problems & have since moved to another part of Arkansas. The Auto Lender agreed to put two of my payments to the end of the contract in order to give me the opportunity to catch. I made a payment in July, and have been unable to do so since then. I called the Auto Lender today to get the pay off amount on the car, (a friend is going to let me put it on his credit car), at first they refused. After much hasseling, he finally gave me a payoff amount. The account is in repo, but they have been unable to find the car, due to the move, etc. I called them back later on today to give them the credit card number so they could charge it for the full amount of the payoff, but the supervisor I spoke with refused to take the payment unless I gave her a work number. I do not have a job, so how can I give her a work number? I do not understand why that would be necessary if she is simply accepting payoff of the car and releasing the title? Because I refused to give her a work number, she refused to accept the payment. She told me the only way she would accept it is if I sent her cash thru Western Union or if I called her with the credit card number from my home address. Which they still have listed as the address I lived at in South Arkansas. The address there is a permanent address, as the home belongs to my family. I have not given them the address at which I am staying now, because all of my mail still goes to that address. What recourse do I have in order to make them accept the payment and send me my title? The person who was in charge of my account told me the amount of the payoff and that the amount was good until the 10th of October, but the supervisor started trying to tell me about all these additional cost, etc. She said that since the account was in repo, that she could not release it from repo unless I gave her a work number, could this be true? The loan is in Texas not Arkansas, does that make a difference?

bigun

The easy thing to do is get a cash advance on the cc and send it to them. WHy be difficult? THey are probably concerned about a possible unauthorized use of a credit card problem. Just do what they ask and you get the car and title.

JETX

The reason that they want you to call from work or home is so that they can reverse the number and get an address.... and then come repo the car. Do NOT give them any information.

Call the lender and ask them for the payoff amount in WRITING (have them FAX it to you). You can get a free incoming FAX number at http://www.efax.com/. Then, and only then, should you send the payment in to them. (Or, if need be, email me at the address shown below and you can have them send the notice to my FAX and I will forward it to you).

If this is a debt collector calling you (and not the original lender), call the lender and explain that you are in arrears on the note but wish to pay it in full.

Once you have the FULL amount owed, then send them the payment via money orders or cashiers check. This can be done by cash advance on the credit card (as suggested correctly by Bigun).

L

ladyjb870

Thank you for your responses, very helpful info. As far as them being worried about the credit card problem, not an issue, never got a chance to tell them it wasn't my card. She immediately started demanding a work number as soon as I told her I wanted to give her a credit card to pay off the debt. Even told me she could not take it out of repo without entering a work number.
I do thank you for the advice of sending a M.O. or C.C. instead of the credit card. Wouldn't want to give them an opportunity to abuse that also.

Re: Halket
I did send an email to the address listed below your response and thank you in advance for your help.

LadyJB :)

L

ladyjb870

OK this is getting ridiculous

Well folks, I called the lender and spoke with the person who has been handling my account thus far. I ask him to fax me a copy of the amount of the pay off on my car as suggested. He then tells me that in addition to the payoff amount that he gave me yesterday there would be additional fees, repo, etc. I said fine fax me that amount. He refused to do say, eventually saying he did not have the authority to send anything in writing to anyone. So I told him to find someone that did have that authority. He said she wasn't in the office (she being the rude a** supervisor I spoke with yesterday). So he would not even leave a note for her to call me, said he could only give me her voice mail. I did leave a message requesting a fax be sent with the amounts on it. Yet to hear from her. I ask him point blank, do you want payment for this car or not? He said I would rather have the car! Geez!
So what now? If she also refuses to give me this in writing, she has already refused to allow me to speak with her supervisor. Even hung up on me when I insisted. Where do they get these people from anyways?
So now...... can I go over her head someway? Is there someone I can call that could get me over her head? I was able to get the name of the Sr. Vice-Pres. and who he reports to at the bank that owns the company from the web. But have been unable to find a contact number or address for either. Any more suggestions?????:confused:

JETX

What is the name of the ACTUAL creditor?? I am sure that someone (or myself) can locate the company and contact.

L

ladyjb870

Auto One Acceptance Corporation
Dallas, TX 75240-6228
1-800-831-6006
972-728-0796

I also was able to get a number which I have not yet tried to call for the Sr. Vice- President, Dan Leonard
972-448-7501
by calling their parent company CA Federal Bank. She was most helpful in looking in their company directory wouldn't you say?? :)

My name is included in the last email I sent you by the way. Sure that would be helpful.
Thanks
JB

L

ladyjb870

WoooHoooo!!!!!!!!!

Will wonders never cease?? I called the number for the Sr-Vice-President that the customer service in Calf. was so kind in giving me and got his personal assistant. I told her the situation, with which she seemed extremely unpleased with their behavior. She took my info, name and number and has promised to deal with the situation and if she herself does not call me back, then she would have one of the managers do so. She said it will certainly NOT be either of the ones I have had to deal with so far. Even ask what the orginal payoff amount he quoted. So...... keep those fingers crossed and pray, but perhaps....just perhaps, will all the help you have given me and her assistance this can be resolved without a major nervous breakdown afterall.
Will let you know, again thank you all so much!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

JETX

Call the toll free number and press 2(?) for customer service. Ask to speak with Rhonda (at extension 3223). She has promised to try to help you.

L

ladyjb870

One more question!!!

Well seems as though calling that number helped at least to get me in contact with someone who would deal with me. But there is one more problem it seems. My friend was willing to let me put it on his credit card to keep me from losing my car ( bless him) but, he doesn't have cash advance available on the card only credit. Now I've been told they do not accept credit cards in any shape, form or fashion. I now have untill the 7th to get them a check overnighted. Any ideas? Do you know of anyway to do this with a credit card and it be a charge not a cash advance????:confused:

bigun

Has he tried calling the cc company and asking them to release a portion of this available credit as a cash advance?

G

gottago

There's limits on those services, so be sure to check first.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">