• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

auto theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jandrew

I live in Minnesota. I have comprehensive on my 96' Ford explorer. I had $600 worth of hunting equipment stolen out of my truck at my apartment. I was told by my insurance agent I wasn't covered but have been told by others that I should be. I can't find it in my policy. I don't have renters insurance which the agent told me would have covered the loss. Thanks, John

ALawyer

If you had only liability insurance it would definitely NOT be covered. BUT if you also had comprehensive (collision, fire, theft) insurance and the property was taken from the vehicle it might be covered - file a claim and ask the state insurance department.

J

jandrew

ALawyer said:
If you had only liability insurance it would definitely NOT be covered. BUT if you also had comprehensive (collision, fire, theft) insurance and the property was taken from the vehicle it might be covered - file a claim and ask the state insurance department.
I had to have comprehensive because I'm still making payments on the truck. How do I file a claim when my agent says I'm not covered? By state insurance department do you mean the State of Minnesota has a insurance department or the Insurance company? If I can get my money back out of this stuff I'll be the happiest guy in the world! Thanks again!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Your insurance agent is absolutely correct. Your hunting equipment is not a covered loss because it's not part of your car; e.g., glass, hubcaps, tires, windshield.

Comprehensive Coverage, as the name implies, generally indemnifies you for direct accidental loss to the covered vehicle by causes other than collision. Typically, this includes loss caused by fire and theft plus other risks resulting in physical damage to

*** the insured car (e.g., storm, flood, riot, etc.).***

Here's a sample provision found in a policy:

"We will pay for direct and accidental loss to your covered auto, including its equipment, minus any deductible shown in the Declarations, other than loss caused by collision (for which separate coverage is available). The following losses are covered and not considered "collision": Loss caused by missiles, falling objects, fire, theft or larceny, explosion, earthquake, windstorm, hail, water, flood, malicious mischief or vandalism, riot or civil commotion, contact with bird or animal, or breakage of glass."

If you had homeowners or renters insurance, then you could claim under that policy - - but, not your vehicle policy.

Good luck to you.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">