• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Avoid losing benefits with SSDI, SSI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? IL

Would a no penalty CD or CD at a credit union be the way to go to avoid SSI benefits being cut.

I was told by an Avvo attorney a college 529 savings account or ABLE or Trust would be acceptable for saving without losing benefits. But I want to get away from long distant firms that offer that junk. I get federal benefits.

adjusterjack

The best place for the answers to your questions is the Social Security Administration's website.

The United States Social Security Administration | SSA

Or a sit-down at your local SSA office.

There is a big difference between SSDI and SSI.

SSDI is "earnings" related. SSDI benefits are not affected unless you exceed the allowable earnings limit.

SSI is needs based. You can lose benefits if income from many sources and assets exceed a certain amount.

A CD is a cash asset. Over a certain amount would result in a loss of SSI benefits.

As for a 529, ABLE, or Trust, I have no idea. You'll have to find that out at the SSA.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">