• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Avoiding Tax Penalty

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SID23

Greetings:

I have recently received a substantial RMD from an inherited IRA. It will increase my tax liability 3X from 2018. How do I avoid paying a tax penalty in 2019 by under-withholding for federal (and state) income tax?

FlyingRon

Make estimated tax payments in the amount that you think your tax liability will be (less any withholding that exists). If you make the proper estimated payments there's no penalty or interest due. Even if you end up underpaying, you may escape the penalty under the safe harbor provisions.

adjusterjack

Make estimated tax payments in the amount that you think your tax liability will be
OP got the money in 2018. Too late for that. But good advice if OP is expecting or contemplating a large RMD in 2019.

I have recently received a substantial RMD from an inherited IRA. It will increase my tax liability 3X from 2018. How do I avoid paying a tax penalty in 2019 by under-withholding for federal
You don't avoid it. But you can mitigate it somewhat by computing the penalty the regular way and the annualized way to see which way is less painful. See Chapter 4 of Publication 505:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p505.pdf
As for your state, there ought to be something on your state tax website or in the instruction booklet.

SID23

I think I have been less than precise in my OP. I filed my 2018 in March 2019. All is well.

Then an in May 2019 I received large RMD. It will triple my 2019 tax liability.

FlyingRon

Wisconsin has the same rules. File estimated tax. They have similar safe-harbor provisions to the feds as well.

LdiJ

Greetings:

I have recently received a substantial RMD from an inherited IRA. It will increase my tax liability 3X from 2018. How do I avoid paying a tax penalty in 2019 by under-withholding for federal (and state) income tax?
On a long term basis, you should have enough withholding coming out of your annual RMD to cover whatever tax results from the RMD. Any tax professional can estimate that for you.

adjusterjack

Then an in May 2019 I received large RMD. It will triple my 2019 tax liability.
If you haven't already spent the money the safe bet is to send 20% of it to the IRS right now, or whatever percentage is commensurate with your expected tax liability. Ditto the appropriate percentage to the state.

Otherwise, you'll have two more opportunities to pay estimated tax and try to avoid or minimize the penalty. One is due by Sept 16 and the next is due by Jan 16.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040es.pdf

LdiJ

If you haven't already spent the money the safe bet is to send 20% of it to the IRS right now, or whatever percentage is commensurate with your expected tax liability. Ditto the appropriate percentage to the state.

Otherwise, you'll have two more opportunities to pay estimated tax and try to avoid or minimize the penalty. One is due by Sept 16 and the next is due by Jan 16.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040es.pdf
Any tax professional can also provide a reasonable estimate of how much the OP should pay in estimated taxes as well. Its ok to make an estimated payment now. One is not limited to just the quarterly time frames.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">