• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Award Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

ab3375

What is the name of your state? New York

I won an award of 18 million against a drunk driver who has no assets. His car insurance only covered him for $100,000 and my lawyer has told me the insurance company is not liable for any amount over the $100,000. Is this correct?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

If it has been proven by documented evidence that the Defendant only purchased $100,000.00 in liability coverage, what would possibly make you think or believe that the insurance company would be liable for more?

If the Defendant purchased greater limits, then you would have been informed. That's why insurance companies sell various "limits" of liability, usually in increments of $100,000.00.

Now, if the Defendant had an "Umbrella Policy", that would certainly be something for you to explore; however, in order for an umbrella insurance company to cover a person with an "Umbrella Policy", the insured would have had to have purchased the maximum coverage available from the primary insurance company.

Believe me, if there was any way possible to get more of the judgment covered by insurance for you, your attorney would "be there" - - because the more money you "recover", the bigger his contingency fee - - and for 18 Million Dollars, you can "bet the farm" that your attorney has done a Multi-State, or even a World-Wide, search for any assets whatsoever so that the judgment, or more of the judgment, could be paid.

One final point - - if any of that 18 Million Dollars was in the form of "punitive damages", then there's no insurance company in the world that would be responsible for paying that amount so designated.

IAAL

Last edited:
M

macro9999

ab3375:

Remember the drunk driver has PARENTS, FAMILY, and they DIE....sometimes with a will leaving the drunk driver with assets....

Also if the drunk driver is/or gets Married and his wife gets/or has some assets that could also be attached if it becomes marital assets.

Thats how you collect years later...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">