• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Awol from basic training ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ms213

I am currently 17 and in the army national guard , I’ve been to 2 drills and live in Oregon . I changed my beliefs since I squared in I just believe it is wrong to kill and am trying to get out. I learned from the GI Rights Hotline I was told to just AWOL and I won’t have any consequences, I was also told i would get an uncharacterized discharge because of my 180 days prior to service and cause I’m an untrained soldier . I just want to know if all this is true and if so is it safe to awol

I am currently 17 and in the army national guard , I’ve been to 2 drills and live in Oregon . I changed my beliefs since I squared in I just believe it is wrong to kill and am trying to get out. I learned from the GI Rights Hotline I was told to just AWOL and I won’t have any consequences, I was also told i would get an uncharacterized discharge because of my 180 days prior to service and cause I’m an untrained soldier . I just want to know if all this is true and if is it safe to awol
Short answer, no. Consequences you ask?
Son there are consequences to every breath of life we take . But some consequences will fallow you to your grave.
Talk to your Chaplin. yeah, he's going to be pro-military but at least he'll tell you what's up and what the road ahead of you will be like.

UnknownEcho

Well I doubt you've been AWOL longer than me but we're in the exact same boat. I joined up at very early 17 in 2017 and went on to drill for about 4 months after that I shipped off to basic and was lied to a lot but uppers but I always did what I was supposed to and completed basic without any problems and as a split option I was sent home to finish high school. Well when I got back I decided not to return to the state where I joined up (Washington) and returned back home (Oregon) and have been here ever since August 24th, 2017. I can tell you from just going to school driving a personal vehicle under my name and getting one speeding ticket that I've never received any notice, warrant or call from anyone about going awol after basic split-option. Now I can't confirm my status as I don't think I've even been discharged but my recruiters didn't care about me and they were happy to just sign the discharge papers even before I left for basic they had it all ready. I'm sure I'll just get the General Discharge then go on to the Other than Honorable discharge and will even be able to rejoin on that note within 6 months. Honestly I think it all depends on your RNB or Recruiters whether to make your life hell or just kick your butt out and be done with you. It's not like I've been hiding either I've applied to jobs and got working too so that also assures me I don't have a DD or BCD and I've been living in the same house since forever so it's not like they would've been working hard to find me. Good luck I guess this isn't the slightest of easy living. One thing I can tell you is that if you got your bonus or gear from the military is that they're going to get it back through taxation etc. so be ready for that.

adjusterjack

Back in my Army days (long ago) we used to catch AWOLs, put them in the stockade for a six months, and then give them bad conduct discharges.

But you're right, these days you'll both probably come out unscathed.

The military no longer wants to waste time or money going after gutless wimps who renege on their commitment to serve their country.

Just Blue

Back in my Army days (long ago) we used to catch AWOLs, put them in the stockade for a six months, and then give them bad conduct discharges.

The military no longer wants to waste time or money going after gutless wimps who renege on their commitment to serve their country.
I totally agree with you...Sad isn't it?

Signed me

Liberal from Massachusetts who's Father barely made it out of WW2 alive.

CdwJava

Said much better than I was prepared to ... I had to log out earlier when I read this so as to avoid making a rude comment.

A Blue Star Dad times 2.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">