• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

AWOL in training

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California

I was in the Army for 6 months before i found out i had a hyrniated disc, which is grounds for getting a medical discharge, i was still in training though and all the guys in that training unit had been around for more than a year before they got a medical discharge. After 6 months of sitting there and having nothing done with my discharge paperwork and seeing awol guys come back and get out in a month, i went AWOL from the RIP (Ranger Indoctrination Program) unit at Ft. Benning, Georgia.

I stayed awol for 60 days then i came back. They had me sign different papers, one of which said i was only gone for 30 days, i told them the dates were wrong, they told me it didnt matter. A month later, a week before i was supposed to get out with a general discharge they told me the commander wouldnt let me out seeing as i was only gone for 30 days, i told them it was there mistake, they told me it didnt matter that i hadnt done anything bad enough.

I freaked out and flew home that weekend, November 29th, that sunday when i was going to fly back i got a horrible case of food poisoning and couldnt make it. Monday they found out i was awol, i didnt want to go back and miss christmas, and i figured if i stayed a little longer it would make it bad enough so i would get out, and i just kept putting it off. They didnt stop paying me till late April, so im assuming they didnt put in the paperwork till then.

Now im still AWOL and i need to go back and clear this all up. Seeing that i went AWOL, not because of deployment reasons, but because i didnt want to waste more than a year of my life in Georgia waiting for a medical discharge, and also that i was still in a trianing enviroment. What can i do? Is there anyway i can get my paperwork sent to Ft. Sill? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. i know i should've gotten the medical discharge, i see that now, it was a dumb move. Ive made the mistakes, and now i just want to get them settled as fast as possible


Why do you want to get the paper work sent to Fort Sill it will just make it longer for them to out proccess you.


Senior Member
You might try for a psychiatric discharge because what you did was crazy. Just turn yourself into a VA hospital.


Junior Member
I wish you the best of luck my friend.
Back when i was in the 82nd Airborne Division in 86 things were quite a bit different. People were deathly afraid of going awol and it was not even in option in most people minds.

Curious to know why you didn't go see a JAG officer.

Go back and face the music my friend. Your hurting yourself each and everyday and living like this can't be an enjoyable existance.

Take Care

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential