• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

AWOL..please advise

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

slider71

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?TX I went AWOL two weeks ago. I have been a good soldier up to this point. I tried going to counseling in AIT and was brushed off, told to suck it up. I can't mentally deal with the riggors of the Army. I won't make it if I have to go to Iraq. I knew the possibilities when I joined, but was blinded by the thought of giving my family a more consistent lifestyle. I made a mistake. I have the utmost respect for the people in the service, they have the heart of a lion. I'm not one of these people. Should I turn myself in now or wait until DFR. I have been at my unit for 2 months now. I have read the other threads...not many mention a person being at a regular unit..please help. Thanks

Last edited:

T

thepizzaguy

slider71 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?TX I went AWOL two weeks ago. I have been a good soldier up to this point. I tried going to counseling in AIT and was brushed off, told to suck it up. I can't mentally deal with the riggors of the Army. I won't make it if I have to go to Iraq. I knew the possibilities when I joined, but was blinded by the thought of giving my family a more consistent lifestyle. I made a mistake. I have the utmost respect for the people in the service, they have the heart of a lion. I'm not one of these people. Should I turn myself in now or wait until DFR. I have been at my unit for 2 months now. Thanks
There are a ton of threads on this subject. You will need to turn yourself in and that really is the best way to do this. You do not want to be taken into custody involuntarily. That will just make things more difficult for you (ie being in local civilian lockup and then staying in lock up after your returned to your base)

kamnjess

have honor

I am in the navy and i am ashamed to hear that you have left your post. I am also worried that if you care so much about your family...Then why did you decide to put your self in more trouble. I dont know what your job is. And your mission in Iraq.. But i know alot of people who come back all the time. It is not fair for all of us that you leave us behind. We are in a time of war...God help you... I can only say this.. My CO... has no heart for those that leave us behind.. And i am a Corpsman.. A person who puts my life second in the field.. So think about what you are doing before you make matters worse.. If you turn your self in.. If looks better than if the catch you.. Plus to the CO...cause you will go to mast...Tell him how you feel, and why you did what you did...Being scared wont get you out of trouble..But i am sure that he has a heart...be a man and do what you said when you joined...TO DEFEND THE CONSITUTION AND DEFEND THE ONES WHO CAN DEFEND THEMSELVES....TO HONOR AND COMMIT TO BEING THE BEST...
just think about this .. I post this cause this is a serious crime

T

thepizzaguy

kamnjess said:
I am in the navy and i am ashamed to hear that you have left your post. I am also worried that if you care so much about your family...Then why did you decide to put your self in more trouble. I dont know what your job is. And your mission in Iraq.. But i know alot of people who come back all the time. It is not fair for all of us that you leave us behind. We are in a time of war...God help you... I can only say this.. My CO... has no heart for those that leave us behind.. And i am a Corpsman.. A person who puts my life second in the field.. So think about what you are doing before you make matters worse.. If you turn your self in.. If looks better than if the catch you.. Plus to the CO...cause you will go to mast...Tell him how you feel, and why you did what you did...Being scared wont get you out of trouble..But i am sure that he has a heart...be a man and do what you said when you joined...TO DEFEND THE CONSITUTION AND DEFEND THE ONES WHO CAN DEFEND THEMSELVES....TO HONOR AND COMMIT TO BEING THE BEST...
just think about this .. I post this cause this is a serious crime
I am sick of people beating up people who make this mistake. This is supposed to be a board to get and give advice. Not a bashing board. You just wrote a whole book on how shameful this kid is with about 2 sentences of actual advice on how to deal with the problem.

kamnjess

I know it is hard

I am no expert on being a perfect person.. I have my trouble too. I am just concern about what this is going to do to u.. being a some one who leaves their post at a time of war....That is a serious thing.. You know this..>We dont have to baby you and tell you it is ok.. I am just telling you from me being in the service too. That the best thing to...do...is to turn you self in.. I know it is not what you want to hear but in my opinion it is the best option.. May i ask what made you run... Please if you dont mind

BelizeBreeze

thepizzaguy said:
I am sick of people beating up people who make this mistake. This is supposed to be a board to get and give advice. Not a bashing board. You just wrote a whole book on how shameful this kid is with about 2 sentences of actual advice on how to deal with the problem.
Put a SOCK in it. You have already been warned.

To slider. DO a search on this subject and you'll find a similar thread (try 'awol job' as the search criteria).

You'll find that if you do NOT face this now, you not only face the risk of spending time in jail for AWOL, but the longer you stay gone and the more you prepare to stay gone (as in getting a job and setting up housekeeping) you could also face DESERTION charges. That means prison.

Either face it now or later.

slider71

Why i ran..

I ran because everyone has brushed me off. I went to counseling in AIT. Was told to suck it up. Spoke to my drills, they told me that I was to good of a soldier to recommed for discharge. I feel that I have a legit reason for running...maybe someone will listen now. I know that it was not right, but I was not getting any answers sticking around.. I am sorry

T

thepizzaguy

BelizeBreeze said:
Put a SOCK in it. You have already been warned.
Whatever BelizeBreeze... I could care less what you think. So why don't you put a SOCK in it.

Ok... slider turn yourself in. See the chaplain, Get a lawyer, reason with your CO. Just don't stay AWOL. Its a mistake you will have to deal with sooner or later. Sooner is better than later. The longer you wait the more entrenched you will become with civilian life (ie jobs, marriage, kids) and this will all come back to smack you right in the face when your in finest momemt

slider71

Thanks...

I'm just looking for some help. I know what I have done is not right. I hope all you perfect people out there never run into a crisis and need help. I feel as if I have exhausted all my other options. Was here to seek guidance. I'm sorry for what I have done

R

revere787

awol

if you dont want to stay in the military, you must wait until you are DFR, or you will get sent back to your unit. CAll the deserter hotline after 30 days to see if you are dfr. the # is.....1-502-626-3711. Turn your self in to fort sill, not fort knox...it takes longer there. By the way, if you turn your self in, they cant prove desertion, which means you intented to stay away for good. well it is pretty hard for them to say to you, that you planned on staying away for good, if your there turning yourself in...right.

Last edited by a moderator:

BelizeBreeze

slider71 said:
I'm just looking for some help. I know what I have done is not right. I hope all you perfect people out there never run into a crisis and need help. I feel as if I have exhausted all my other options. Was here to seek guidance. I'm sorry for what I have done
I'm not even going to address the other idiot. He advised another awol to take their time, disregarding the fact that the longer he stayed away, the more likely it would be that prison was a possibility.

Will you face jail? maybe. Will you get an administrative discharge? Hopefully. Will you do Prison time? It's also a possibility.

You can research the outcomes yourself by doing the search I advised you to perform or by searching the UCMJ Desertion code.

The point is, you know you were wrong and you have the ability to mitigate the punishment you will receive. The longer you stay gone the less chance YOU have of mitigation.

BelizeBreeze

revere787 said:
if you dont want to stay in the military, you must wait until you are DFR, or you will get sent back to your unit. CAll the deserter hotline after 30 days to see if you are dfr. the # is.....1-502-626-3711. Turn your self in to fort sill, not fort knox...it takes longer there. By the way, if you turn your self in, they cant prove desertion, which means you intented to stay away for good. well it is pretty hard for them to say to you, that you planned on staying away for good, if your there turning yourself in...right.
Then you tell this person what exactly will happen to him RIGHT NOW!

Or state your qualifications for giving legal advice. You and the other idiot are playing GOd with this man's life and it's NO JOKE!

List here, the elements necessary to provide Article 85 prosecution for Desertion or anything that proves you know what the HELL you're talking about.

BelizeBreeze

I suggest you BOTH be very careful with this person's life. And you had better come back and prove you know what you're talking about.

The following are what is required to be reported if you turn yourself in to other than your original duty station, as suggested by one of the idiot twins.

Subpart C—Desertion
§630.8 Administrative report.
(a) The unit commander administratively classifies an absentee as a deserter and completes DD Form 553 when one or more of the following applies:

(1) The facts and circumstances of the absence, without regard to the length of absence, indicates that the soldier may have committed the offense of desertion, as defined in articles 85 and 86 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ).

(2) The soldier has been AWOL for 30 consecutive days.

(3) The soldier, without authority, has gone to or remains in a foreign country and while in the foreign country has requested, applied for, or accepted any type of asylum or resident permit from the country, or any governmental agency.

(4) The soldier has returned to military control and departs absent prior to completion of any administrative or judicial action for a previous absence.

(5) The soldier escapes from confinement.

(6) The soldier is a special category absentee.

(b) The unit commander promptly reports deserters to the provost marshal via DD Form 553 per AR 630–10, chapter 3.

However, if you turn yourself in now to your own unit, the following is required:

§630.6 Surrender to unit commander.
If an AWOL soldier surrenders to the parent unit the following procedures apply:

(a) The unit commander immediately notifies the Provost Marshal that the soldier has returned.

(b) The provost marshal finalizes the DA Form 3975 and makes a reference blotter entry. The provost marshal forwards DA Form 3975 and 4833 (Commander's Report of Disciplinary or Administration Action) with an appropriate suspense date through the appropriate field grade commander to the unit commander for action.

(c) The unit commander reports action taken to the provost marshal on DA Form 4833 not later than the assigned suspense date.

And although there is no timeframe in the UCMJ to 'magically' turn yourself in, there are other conditions that are required.

Punitive Articles of the UCMJ

Article 85—Desertion

“(a) Any member of the armed forces who—

(1) without authority goes or remains absent from his unit, organization, or place of duty with intent to remain away therefrom permanently;

(2) quits his unit, organization, or place of duty with intent to avoid hazardous duty or to shirk important service; or

(3) without being regularly separated from one of the armed forces enlists or accepts an appointment in the same or another one of the armed forces without fully disclosing the fact that he has not been regularly separated, or enters any foreign armed service except when authorized by the United States

Making ASSUMPTIONS that all AWOL soldiers will breeze by with an administrative discharge is not only ludicrous but dangerous to this poster's life and liberty.

T

thepizzaguy

thepizzaguy said:
Whatever BelizeBreeze... I could care less what you think. So why don't you put a SOCK in it.

Ok... slider turn yourself in. See the chaplain, Get a lawyer, reason with your CO. Just don't stay AWOL. Its a mistake you will have to deal with sooner or later. Sooner is better than later. The longer you wait the more entrenched you will become with civilian life (ie jobs, marriage, kids) and this will all come back to smack you right in the face when your in finest momemt
ok how is this advice deserving of being called an idiot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">