• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

AWOL seeking Job

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DischargedArmy

What is the name of your state? NV

Can you apply for a job while being AWOL? i am talking about a job at a place like walmart, officemax, local bar/club, or any other type of normal jobs.

I am awol and want to seek a job to make some money until I turn myself in (which I am gonna do). But I hear your SSN goes into a list and if you apply for a job they can track you down. Is that true?

I went awol about 33 days ago, from my ait. I couldn't deal with the drills or adapting to the miltary so i left. I realize its the wrong thing to do. But I felt that if I were to stay any longer I would end up dead. Its not glorifying to be awol, and I plan to turn myself in and hopefully recieve an OTH Chp. 10. I want the military life behind me (even though it never really will be). I've read numerous posts on people going awol and turning themselves in and get OTH discharge. i do realize that I should have thought about all of this before I joined and swore in, but I didn't realize what I was getting myself into.

Any help on the seeking a job topic would be helpful. Thanks

T

thepizzaguy

BelizeBreeze said:
this post doesn't even deserve a response.
Yes he does. People make mistakes and deserve advice on how to handle those mistakes..

Yes you probably will have no problem finding a job, but you can't keep living this way. I know your prolly in a position where you need money, and need a paycheck.. Make a few bucks and then GO BACK!! living your life looking over your shoulder is no way to live

peltlaw.com

They never Forget

The most common way you will be apprehended is via a local police officer for a minor traffic issue. After 30 days your unit will submit a DD-553, which is a federal warrant for your arrest. 553s get entered into the NCIC national database which most local jurisdiction have access to. During the traffic stop the police officer will run your name for any warrants and that 553 will pop up with instructions to immediately detain you and call a deserter hotline. You will spend 2 - 3 days in local lock up while the chasers are sent to pick up and deliver you back to your unit or another base that may act as a collection point if your old unit is deployed.

Here is the golden rule - it is always better to be proactive about this and turn yourself in.

Last edited by a moderator:

BelizeBreeze

thepizzaguy said:
Yes he does. People make mistakes and deserve advice on how to handle those mistakes..

Yes you probably will have no problem finding a job, but you can't keep living this way. I know your prolly in a position where you need money, and need a paycheck.. Make a few bucks and then GO BACK!! living your life looking over your shoulder is no way to live
You're as big an idiot as this person if you think they deserve anything.

Tell it to the families who's sons and daughters never came back.

This Forum IS NOT a place to advise others how to break or elude the law or to get out of paying their debt to society.

DischargedArmy

thepizzaguy said:

I do realize I am an idiot and that Im living a life I shouldnt. But the thing is I need money to survive till I can get enough guts to turn myself in. I Honestly plan on turning myself in. But not until I can verify my packet is put together and I can go to ft sill and turn myself in. I don't deserve to be in the military. I have my reasons why I did what I did. Leaving b/c I couldn't handle the miltary life is only half the story.

So you would say I am clear to apply for a job even if my SSN is in the NCIC database? I just dont want to apply for a job and then oneday the police show up at work to take me in, i want to turn myself in rather than be taken in. I know the traffic stop one will definetly get you taken in.

Thanks PizzaGuy for realizing that, i realize i made mistakes.

I know this forum is not for made for finding ways to elude the law. But there are people on besides myself who are looking to find answers to things that may have screwed up on in thier lives.

Last edited:
T

thepizzaguy

BelizeBreeze said:
You're as big an idiot as this person if you think they deserve anything.

Tell it to the families who's sons and daughters never came back.

This Forum IS NOT a place to advise others how to break or elude the law or to get out of paying their debt to society.
you are the one with a chip on your shoulder I have plenty of family and friends who have killed and died for this country. These people that "screwed up" don't need tongue lashings they need advice on how to live there lives honorably. I think I have provided that. While tellng that kid to make a few bucks and GO BACK I also feel that I provided some good advice so he can make his return a little more comfortable.

BelizeBreeze

DischargedArmy said:
I do realize I am an idiot and that Im living a life I shouldnt. But the thing is I need money to survive till I can get enough guts to turn myself in. Honestly plan on turning myself in. But not until I can verify my packet is put together and I can go to ft sill and turn myself in. I don't deserve to be in the military. I have my reasons why I did what I did. Leaving b/c I couldn't handle the miltary life is only half the story.
You are deluding yourself if you think you're going back and being discharged. You are headed for a cell. For how long depends on what you do RIGHT THIS SECOND.

You can either be charged with AWOL, spend a few weeks or months in jail, or be charged with Desertion and go to a little place in Kansas for years.
So quit making excuses.

I know this forum is not for made for finding ways to elude the law. But there are people on besides myself who are looking to find answers to things that may have screwed up on in thier lives.
and you think staying gone for longer so you can get a little pocket change together is getting your life together? You deserve what you get and it's going to be a prison cell if you don't act now.

BelizeBreeze

thepizzaguy said:
you are the one with a chip on your shoulder I have plenty of family and friends who have killed and died for this country. These people that "screwed up" don't need tongue lashings they need advice on how to live there lives honorably. I think I have provided that. While tellng that kid to make a few bucks and GO BACK I also feel that I provided some good advice so he can make his return a little more comfortable.
And you are very close to having a visit from the administrator of this site.

Not only is your advice to this person wrong, it is dangerous and is promoting the CRIME of desertion. I strongly suggest you do a little UCMJ reading before you come back to this thread.

AND I am VERY SERIOUS on this.

DischargedArmy

BelizeBreeze said:
And you are very close to having a visit from the administrator of this site.

Not only is your advice to this person wrong, it is dangerous and is promoting the CRIME of desertion. I strongly suggest you do a little UCMJ reading before you come back to this thread.

AND I am VERY SERIOUS on this.
please dont argue about this on here. Im the one who screwed up. I know what the consequences of this are. I realize I could face jail time for this. But I also realize there are a bunch of people who were in the same situation I am in, and turned themselves in after 45 days, and got discharged. I am no longer gonna post on this thread anymore.

BelizeBreeze

DischargedArmy said:
please dont argue about this on here. Im the one who screwed up. I know what the consequences of this are. I realize I could face jail time for this. But I also realize there are a bunch of people who were in the same situation I am in, and turned themselves in after 45 days, and got discharged. I am no longer gonna post on this thread anymore.
O.K. let's get serious. Your case is VASTLY different.

I suggest you read and understand Article 85 of the UCMJ because if you continue on your path, you WILL be charged with desertion.

Punitive Articles of the UCMJ
Article 85—Desertion

(a) Any member of the armed forces who—

(1) without authority goes or remains absent from his unit, organization, or place of duty with intent to remain away therefrom permanently;

(c) Any person found guilty of desertion or attempt to desert shall be punished, if the offense is committed in time of war, by death or such other punishment as a court-martial may direct, but if the desertion or attempt to desert occurs at any other time, by such punishment, other than death, as a court-martial may direct

Now, the difference that you are NOT understanding is that you are talking about getting and holding a job. It matters NOT why, only that a job rises to the level of intent.

(1) Desertion with intent to remain away permanently.

(a) That the accused absented himself or herself from his or her unit, organization, or place of duty;

(b) That such absence was without authority;

(c) That the accused, at the time the absence began or at some time during the absence, intended to remain away from his or her unit, organization, or place of duty permanently; and

(d) That the accused remained absent until the date alleged. Note: If the absence was terminated by apprehension, add the following element

(e) That the accused’s absence was terminated by apprehension.

If you do get a job then you have satisfied all but the last of the conditions and face VERY SERIOUS puntative punishment.

It's your life. You can choose to spend a brief part of it in jail or the major part of it in prison.

One quick note for the pizza guy - your John Wayne quote tag line should read "...you're stupid." rather than "...your stupid."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">