• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Baby niece

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state?CA. Hi. I took a pic once with my infant niece and an unopened coors light. Is there a way anybody can be in trouble? I imagine and hope not.

zddoodah

Sure, people get in trouble. However, it is hard to believe anyone with a modicum of common sense would think that a photo that includes both a baby and a can of beer (whether open or not) would raise any sort of criminal issue (unless someone's forcing the baby to drink the beer).

Sure, people get in trouble. However, it is hard to believe anyone with a modicum of common sense would think that a photo that includes both a baby and a can of beer (whether open or not) would raise any sort of criminal issue (unless someone's forcing the baby to drink the beer).
Ok well considering the beer is closed there’s no risk of the parent losing custody right?

Ok well considering the beer is closed there’s no risk of the parent losing custody right?
There was a vid of a cousin giving a baby a toy gun. When that pic was sent the mom was mad at that person sending even tho he didn’t give her the gun. She said there was fear of losing custody. How risky is that one of losing custody

adjusterjack

Very risky.

In ordinary everyday life, taking a picture of an infant with a beer can would probably be viewed as hilarious.

But put it before a judge in a custody battle and it could indicate that you do stupid things with young children.

It's all a matter of circumstances and perspective.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Generally speaking, it's not bright to do stupid things with other people's children. Even less brilliant when/if there is a potential custody situation. If it's contentious (and it seems like Mom feels there might be an issue), that's all the more reason to not do stupid things.

Can Mom lose custody over such photos/incidents? Anything is possible, but will she? I'd doubt it. BUT (and yes, it's a big but!) - Dad could make Mom's life difficult, whether he prevails or not. I'd also expect the judge to tell Mom to stop her family from doing stupid stuff with/around the kid. If it were me/my kid? That would be enough to stop letting those who do stupid stuff have the opportunity to be around my kid - problem solved.

At the end of the day - children aren't "props" for things you/your family/friends think are hilarious. Grow up.

Very risky.

In ordinary everyday life, taking a picture of an infant with a beer can would probably be viewed as hilarious.

But put it before a judge in a custody battle and it could indicate that you do stupid things with young children.

It's all a matter of circumstances and perspective.
Ok so I beg your pardon: how much does this put the mom at risk bc I did something dumb with her kid?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Ok so I beg your pardon: how much does this put the mom at risk bc I did something dumb with her kid?
Of actually losing custody? Probably not much. Of having Dad make a stink via filing for custody - no one here knows the likelihood of it. But if he does? She'd be wise to lawyer up, so she's at risk of losing $$ to defend herself and enduring a big headache.

zddoodah

You started by speaking in the abstract, but now you seem to be speaking about an actual situation (or maybe two different situations since I can't tell if the beer situation is the same as the gun situation). As I said before, the existence of a photograph that happens to depict both a baby and a can of beer (whether open or unopen) is unlikely to cause problems for anyone. However, if you want to fill us in with the complete facts, then maybe that might change. Note, however, that it's impossible to be sure about anything without seeing the photo, and I certainly don't suggest that you post it here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">