• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Back child support for who?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

renniepoo

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Texas
I just recently turned 18 a few months ago. My mother lives in Ohio and hasn't ever really been there for me my whole life. Often she would move jobs to avoid paying child support, leaving it to fall behind. My parents went to court several years ago, and my dad allows $10,000 to be dropped off of her back child support as long as she agreed to pay from then on. Needless to say, she never followed up with her end of the deal, and let a huge amount fall back. As of right now, we still recieve checks in the mail even though I am over 18, due to a huge amount of back child support that is still owed. I have a job and pay for everything I do for myself, although I do still live at home. The check is addressed to my father, in which is deposited into his and my step moms account. The only real thing my parents pay for willingly for me is a house to stay in, and food on the table, when prepared. I paid for half of my college, I pay for my gas, my clothes, my food when I am out, I basically pay for everything because I am now "18". Now that being said, I was wondering who was really entitled to the check since it is to support me, and the only thing I really see it do is buy my step mom cigarettes and pay for some bills that im usually not even here to run up! I feel that I am entitled to this money, which isn't much, maybe $75 a month, but that would still be going into my savings account and help me pay for the rest of my college. I am attending a community college, which doesn't cost that much, but I still had to twist my parents arm to get $512 outta them to pay half, in which I paid the other $512 with money I saved from my job. If somebody would please help me on this situation I would really appreciate it. I have a lot of other things going on in my life right now, maybe other conditions that entitle me further to this back child support. And if this can be entitled to me, how would I go about telling my parents (real father and step mother) that I feel it's my right without them getting offended and kicking me out? I'm really confused and feel like my rights aren't being completely fullfilled. Thank you!

BelizeBreeze

The money is and never was yours. You are not a party to the divorce or any orders emminating therefrom.

And you have no legal standing to challenge.

Move on with your life unless you'd like to start paying your father back for all the monies he's expended for you in the past.

NotSoNew

nope the money is not yours as the previous poster said. its to your father for everything he has paid out over the years to raise you.

renniepoo

ok, so this money if for my dying father with teminal lung cancer to spend on other things, things that don't even help anything about me? My father just went out and bought a brand new 2005 ski boat, we have 4 4-wheelers, a 5th wheel travel trailer, 2 brand new truck vehicles, anything you can think about! Is it right for him to spend this money on un needed things when i had to literally twist my parents (step moms) arm just to get half the money for college? I had to drop one of my classes so that my parent would help me pay for school! I am now taking 10 hours, opposed to 13, just because my parents didn't want to pay 200 extra dollars on my education.

CJane

Your father/stepmother RAISED YOU. They don't owe you anything - not a college education, not a roof over your head, NOTHING. You should be THANKING THEM for supporting you all those years without any help from your mom, and for paying for half of your schooling - many people get a lot less.

The money your father is currently receiving is BACK CHILD SUPPORT. It's child support he was owed while you were growing up, and would have been used to pay bills/buy groceries/etc if he'd been getting it. The fact that he's getting it NOW is irrelevant.

snick77

renniepoo said:
ok, so this money if for my dying father with teminal lung cancer to spend on other things, things that don't even help anything about me? My father just went out and bought a brand new 2005 ski boat, we have 4 4-wheelers, a 5th wheel travel trailer, 2 brand new truck vehicles, anything you can think about! Is it right for him to spend this money on un needed things when i had to literally twist my parents (step moms) arm just to get half the money for college? I had to drop one of my classes so that my parent would help me pay for school! I am now taking 10 hours, opposed to 13, just because my parents didn't want to pay 200 extra dollars on my education.
it's still amazing to me that children seem to think that they are DUE money from their parents. As a child of a single-mom, my dad is STILL paying my mom back child support and I'm GROWN! I would NEVER DREAM of saying to my mom, "well, mom, that money should really be mine because it was intended for me originally!" That is NOT the case! Child support is just that--to support the child! Aren't you glad that you can walk into your house and turn on a light? Or pop food into the microwave? How do you think that happens? And so what if your dad has bought things for himself or your step-mom? That is HIS money not yours! And you should be thanking your dad for even paying for ANY of your post high-school college costs! He isn't obligated to pay anything for you after you turn 18! It sounds like a bunch of whining to me! Grow up sweetie!

NotSoNew

my parents were never divorced and they didnt pay for me to go to college or GIVE me anything after I turned 18. they dont have to! thats their right to chose as PARENTS. they paid for you up until they were 18, they put out this money already for you, they are just getting repaid for what they put out. They made sacrifices for you while you were growing up, its THEIR money there is no reason why they shouldnt enjoy it!

BelizeBreeze

renniepoo said:
I tell you what. I'll send you $20 so you can buy a conscience.

grow the hell up little girl. You owe your father a hell of a lot more money for taking care of your ass than he got or is getting for chld support.

I hope to hell he presents you with a bill. :rolleyes:

TNBSMommy

renniepoo said:
Is it right for him to spend this money on un needed things when i had to literally twist my parents (step moms) arm just to get half the money for college? I had to drop one of my classes so that my parent would help me pay for school! I am now taking 10 hours, opposed to 13, just because my parents didn't want to pay 200 extra dollars on my education.

How freaking selfish can a person get????????? This world does NOT revolve around YOU! Turn on your TV, you are so upset about having to drop down to ten hours? try losing everything you have ever worked for!! Oh, wait, you haven't!

I didn't even HAVE parents by the time I was your age!

It, once again! is money owed to HIM~!!!!! For supporting your ungrateful behind!!! HIS money NOT yours!!! You're in Texas, go look around at some of these thousands of hurricane victims, and then whine about how hard you have it!!!!

B

betterthanher

Well renniepoo, let's turn this around on YOU.

Why didn't you bother applying for financial aid?

How about loans?

Grants?

Scholarships?

Hmm?

You become an adult at 18. Parents have zero legal obligation or responsibility to ensure a college education for their child. If they wish to do that, that is their choice. Most families can not afford to put their kids through college because the cost of college is increasing 10x that than the cost of living. Plus, with the economy about to head into a recession because of Hurricane Katrina, it's not getting any better.

YOU should have taken the initiative. You want to go to college, then step up and relieve the financial responsibility on everyone -- including yourself. Maybe you can start looking into/applying for this stuff now for next semester.

renniepoo

ok, so seriously, nothing you guys have just said is anything new than what I have ever thought, I have a conscience and feelings and morals and obligations, and I AM NOT UNGRATEFUL! :mad: As I read these posts, I realize that you are giving me a guilt trip for what has happened in your lives. I'm sorry for that, seriously I am. But that doesn't go to say that I haven't had it just as bad. Thank you for judging me, hope He judges you accordingly, meanwhile, There is only one person that can judge me, you aren't Him, so DON'T JUDGE ME! I can put my own self through college, I don't particularly need their support, but then again, I was brought up with college drilled into my brain. My father, before he got deathly ill, promised that anything that they had to do to send me to college they would do because he didnt want me to see me end up like him or my mother. Obviously I was raised with the understanding that I would go to college no matter what.
I didn't post this on here for some angry people to yell at me. I was asking a question, and I get all these rude responses. Maybe they weren't intended to be rude, but I still took them that way. Yes, I am 18, granted I've never had a child nor had to pay child support, so that is why i was asking this question. No need to ram your personal opinions down my throat. Just a simple answer was needed, nothing about how I'm ungrateful or selfish, I really didn't appreciate that. You have never walked in my shoes or had to deal with the things I am currently dealing with.
I have had a job ever since I've been old enough. I earn my own damn money that is spent on things the past few years that I wasn't an "adult" that most parents provide for their children. ie:clothing...tolietries.
Again, there is no need for you to take your frustrations out on my in my post, I asked a simple question because I didn't know the answer. DO NOT bitch to me about how you think I'm selfish or anything else, that is not what I'm asking for.

eyemback

renniepoo said:
ok, so seriously, nothing you guys have just said is anything new than what I have ever thought, I have a conscience and feelings and morals and obligations, and I AM NOT UNGRATEFUL! :mad: As I read these posts, I realize that you are giving me a guilt trip for what has happened in your lives. I'm sorry for that, seriously I am. But that doesn't go to say that I haven't had it just as bad. Thank you for judging me, hope He judges you accordingly, meanwhile, There is only one person that can judge me, you aren't Him, so DON'T JUDGE ME! I can put my own self through college, I don't particularly need their support, but then again, I was brought up with college drilled into my brain. My father, before he got deathly ill, promised that anything that they had to do to send me to college they would do because he didnt want me to see me end up like him or my mother. Obviously I was raised with the understanding that I would go to college no matter what.
I didn't post this on here for some angry people to yell at me. I was asking a question, and I get all these rude responses. Maybe they weren't intended to be rude, but I still took them that way. Yes, I am 18, granted I've never had a child nor had to pay child support, so that is why i was asking this question. No need to ram your personal opinions down my throat. Just a simple answer was needed, nothing about how I'm ungrateful or selfish, I really didn't appreciate that. You have never walked in my shoes or had to deal with the things I am currently dealing with.
I have had a job ever since I've been old enough. I earn my own damn money that is spent on things the past few years that I wasn't an "adult" that most parents provide for their children. ie:clothing...tolietries.
Again, there is no need for you to take your frustrations out on my in my post, I asked a simple question because I didn't know the answer. DO NOT bitch to me about how you think I'm selfish or anything else, that is not what I'm asking for.
And I noticed you didn't answer the questions posed to you in the last response. Don't want to like being put in a corner do you?

eyemback

renniepoo said:
And I noticed you didn't answer the questions posed to you in the last response regarding financial aid. Don't like being put in a corner do you?

renniepoo

eyemback said:
And I noticed you didn't answer the questions posed to you in the last response regarding financial aid. Don't like being put in a corner do you?
no I was just flustered with being judged and called names by people that don't even know me at all that I totally forgot to answer them. Freak out!! Yes I understand that I should have gotten some kinda financial aide, but I just have a lot of things going on in my life right now, I really got distracted. I didn't understand at the time how important and helpful this kinda thing is when you are trying to pay for college. Now that I realize that you can't just fiddle fart around and wait til the last minute to do something, ie: enroll in classes, I will start earlier in getting prepared.

But, this wasn't even what this whole thing is about. I was asking a simple question, and got rude people's responses. Including you because you were judging me by saying that I don't like to be put in a corner. Hello, I am a person too, I have feelings, please try to be considerate of that and don't put me down. What have I said that has hurt you? Yea...NOTHING. Seriously, I think you guys are just picking on me cuz I'm young and inexperienced and I asked a simple question. I'm really a nice girl...that was just looking for an answer to a question.

B

betterthanher

renniepoo said:
no I was just flustered with being judged and called names by people that don't even know me at all that I totally forgot to answer them. Freak out!! Yes I understand that I should have gotten some kinda financial aide, but I just have a lot of things going on in my life right now, I really got distracted. I didn't understand at the time how important and helpful this kinda thing is when you are trying to pay for college. Now that I realize that you can't just fiddle fart around and wait til the last minute to do something, ie: enroll in classes, I will start earlier in getting prepared.
As you can see, making excuses gets you nowhere.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">