• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

back child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lovelucky13

What is the name of your state? MO

my boyfriend has a daughter who is 4 years old. he has only seen her twice as she has moved across the eastern seacoast with her mother. he has received court papers to sever his parental rights, and papers on back child support. he has told me that he was not present for the birth and his name was signed to the birth certificate. Is this legal for one? Also on the court papers for severing his rights his daughter is not even using his name. legal documents come to him with the stepparents last name. i am not understanding how this can happen. i am confused, we have spent the last 3 years together and now I am pregnant with his child. it is not that he did not want to pay child support, he was not employed and could not find work. is there anyone that can give a girl some advice....

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

lovelucky13 said:
What is the name of your state? MO

my boyfriend has a daughter who is 4 years old. he has only seen her twice as she has moved across the eastern seacoast with her mother. he has received court papers to sever his parental rights, and papers on back child support. he has told me that he was not present for the birth and his name was signed to the birth certificate. Is this legal for one? Also on the court papers for severing his rights his daughter is not even using his name. legal documents come to him with the stepparents last name. i am not understanding how this can happen. i am confused, we have spent the last 3 years together and now I am pregnant with his child. it is not that he did not want to pay child support, he was not employed and could not find work. is there anyone that can give a girl some advice....

My response:

Yeah, here's some "advice" - - you should get the hell away from this deadbeat. He's had 4 freakin' years to pay SOMETHING toward his daughter's rearing, and has failed to do so! And now, you're pregnant by him without the commitment of marriage? Where were YOUR brains, Brainy?

What do you think he's going to do to you and the child you're carrying once it's born?

Not too bright.

IAAL

L

lovelucky13

okay, well thanks :rolleyes:. but that was not the advice I was looking for. you know everybody is so quick to judge. who said this was all his fault? and he is a deadbeat? okay the girl took off with the daughter right after she was born. what was he suppose to do? and then to pay child support on a child that she wouldnt let him see? yeah I am all for that. I think everybody that doesnt have custody of their child(ren) should be forced to pay child support and then the custodial parent can choose whether or not they get to see the other parent :rolleyes:. You know that is what is really screwy about people nowadays. My mother thinks that it was better me growing up without my father and that I should do the same for my child. Well I remember my childhood and it sucked. It was even worse when my father showed up and then my mother chased him away again. every child deserves both parents no matter what, unless it is a mutual decision. If the couple is committed in the beginning and the baby is born then the father wants to leave, then yeah I can see your point. But no one gave him the choice, no one asked him how he would feel if he never got to see his first born daughter again. And yeah I know it has been four years without payments, but how does he know the child is really his. they were both young and in a new relationship. who is to say she was being faithful?

First off, one thing you (or your boyfriend) should know and accept is that visitation and support are two completely different issues. Just because she isn't letting him see their daughter is no reason for him to stop paying. Same goes for the mother; just because he isn't paying child support is no reason to deny visitation.

Now, what your boyfriend, not you because it isn't your problem believe it or not, needs to do is start paying his support. I don't know if four years is too long for him to challenge paternity. But if there is a court order for support, he needs to contact CSE and get things in order there. A good website: http://www.deltabravo.net

And don't be so quick to judge, sweetie. How would you like it if your boyfriend denied being your baby's father and accusing you of being unfaithful down the line to avoid paying support?

L

lovelucky13

:( we both know and understand that there is a difference between child support and visitation. I dont know where to begin on finding out the legal issues with fighting paternity and finding out what is legal or not in this. here are the reason, and maybe somone could point me in the right direction of where to look for similar case, websites, etc.
1. The child was born in KS
2. Mother moved out of this state
3. Mother/daughter currently living in FL
4. Child support papers coming from LA

Do I need to research child support laws in LA, FL or KS :confused:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

He needs to inflate the tires on your trailer, and you need a frontal lobotomy.

Just wait - - in a couple of months, he'll be gone.

You said - -

"we both know and understand that there is a difference between child support and visitation."

What a joke, lady!

If you "knew" and "understood" the "difference", you would never have said - -

"okay the girl took off with the daughter right after she was born. what was he suppose to do? and then to pay child support on a child that she wouldnt let him see? yeah I am all for that."

Here's a clue - - your boyfriend is just too stupid to fight for his rights to see HIS OWN daughter, his FLESH AND BLOOD. And, when it comes to "the stupids", you're not too far behind him.

What a guy you've got there.

IAAL

L

lovelucky13

first of all IAAL I didnt come to this website to receive such BS from people like you. If all you do is come to this website to inflict your "opinion" upon ppl that would like serious advice then you need to find a different hobby. I am not going to defend myself nor my boyfriend to someone that has such a little mind about the subject. maybe you have been screwed over in a similar situation. but is that my fault? dont think so. if you cant help my situation with some serious advise then leave it alone and go bother someone else. you are wasting your time and mine.

If the child support papers were issued in LA, I *think* you would have to file there. I'm not sure though. But you would be better off double checking with an attorney.

L

lovelucky13

Information that I have researched the non-custodial parent was not responsible for child support DURING the years he was intentionally kept "in the dark" regarding the child's whereabouts. Which would help during a period of 2 years.

I don't think that would apply if there was a valid court order during the time visitation was denied. Your boyfriend should have filed a contempt action against the mother for denial of visitation.

Being denied visitation does not excuse him from paying support during those two years.

Okay, simple question: When was the court order for support entered? As in, according to the document, when was he supposed to start paying support?

L

lovelucky13

I would have to look back on the papers that he has. If I remember correctly she was 2 when the petition was put in place, but they filed to collect the first 2 years also. So he owes for a total of 4 years.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
lovelucky13 said:
I would have to look back on the papers that he has. If I remember correctly she was 2 when the petition was put in place, but they filed to collect the first 2 years also. So he owes for a total of 4 years.
And he never contested paternity?

(edit) Also, being unemployed isn't an excuse not to pay if there was an order. If he became unemployed after the order was entered, he could and should have filed for a modification. If he was unemployed at the time, it's very likely that the court found him to be willfully unemployed, imputed him an income and set support. Either way - he's stuck paying the ordered amount and the arrears.

Honestly, this isn't something that bodes well.

Last edited:
L

lovelucky13

and how was he suppose to pay for this legal action? I guess there are some of those attorneys out there that will just take the case and not care about getting paid and actually fight for the person they are representing :rolleyes: I dont think so, plus being 18 how was he suppose to get the advice that he needed. I know he is not the only one who doesnt know what to do in cases like this. Maybe he should have done something, but then again he could have gotten screwed. What if the lawyer told him to just sign over his rights? or worse. I am only trying to research the issue for him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">