• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

back child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sheabean

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida
I have not seen my son in eight years due to his mother obtaining an injunction against me. I did not have the money for an attorney at the time and was not able to do anything about not seeing him. My son's mother did not pursue child support and did not want me to see him. He is now 10 years old and I would like to move forward with establishing visitation, but would like to know if I will have to pay child support for the past eight years that I have not been in his life. I am not trying to get out of paying, but I am not in a good financial situation at this time.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Isis1

you may have to pay back child support.

why did you not establish support back then?

is it a "if i have to pay child support and/or arrears, i don't want to see my son" issue?

child support and visitation are two seperate issues.

if mom's injuction worked to keep you away then, what has changed now?

Sheabean

Thanks for your reply.
No, it is not an issue of if I have to pay then I don't want to see him.
Child support and visitation were not established because I did not have money for an attorney and felt like there was nothing that I could do. I was young and she had the full support of her parents, who hired an attorney for her.
The injunction was to keep me away from her, and there was no other way to contact my son without going through her. I don't know if I should initiate the proceedings to establish visitation, or if it has been too long.
I am not trying to take away her custody..... she is a good mother. I just want to have visitation, but am worried that because of my financial situation, and possibly paying back child support for the past eight years will make my financial situation worse, that I will be initiating visitation only for it to be taken away.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">