• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Back child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I am owed back child support. My biological father owes me 18 years of back child support but lived in Mississippi while I lived in Texas and just never showed up for court and ran, well I recently got informed that he passed away and I don't know what that means, if I will still receive it or how I am supposed to go about it.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
I am owed back child support. My biological father owes me 18 years of back child support but lived in Mississippi while I lived in Texas and just never showed up for court and ran, well I recently got informed that he passed away and I don't know what that means, if I will still receive it or how I am supposed to go about it.
You're going to need to explain this a bit. Court ordered child support goes to the parent of the child providing support, not to the child directly. So are you saying that you actually have a court order that says your father was to pay YOU support for 18 years? That would be extremely unusual to say the least.

quincy

You might be a beneficiary of your father’s estate but any child support that your father was ordered to pay and failed to pay would be money that was owed to your mother.

You might be a beneficiary of your father’s estate but any child support that your father was ordered to pay and failed to pay would be money that was owed to your mother.
No it's going to go to my mother but she wants to give it to me for her own reasons. I'm just asking how to go about it so me and her can do whatever is needed.

quincy

No it's going to go to my mother but she wants to give it to me for her own reasons. I'm just asking how to go about it so me and her can do whatever is needed.
Thank you for the fuller explanation. If your mother is able to collect on past-due child support, she can give you the money if she wants to.

How did you learn of your father’s death? Was he living in Mississippi at the time of his death? Was the child support order from Texas?

What your mother probably will want to do is file a claim with the probate court. Child support arrearages are often a priority debt.

Your mom could benefit from the help of an attorney in her area.

Last edited:
Thank you for the fuller explanation. If your mother is able to collect on past-due child support, she can give you the money if she wants to.

How did you learn of your father’s death? Was he living in Mississippi at the time of his death? Was the child support order from Texas?

What your mother probably will want to do is file a claim with the probate court. Child support arrearages are often a priority debt.

Your mom could benefit from the help of an attorney in her area.
His wife called me and told me and how does she go about filing a claim if you don't mind me asking and how much or an estimate of the cost for a lawyer be?

quincy

His wife called me and told me and how does she go about filing a claim if you don't mind me asking and how much or an estimate of the cost for a lawyer be?
If your father died in Mississippi and your mother lives in Texas, it will be easiest for your mom to have an attorney handle the claim for her.

Attorney fees vary widely. Your mother can get a fair idea of rates by calling several attorneys and asking what they charge.

Your mom will need to wait for the estate to be opened for probate. The claim will be filed with the probate court.

Eekamouse

You can't get blood out of a turnip, even more so after the turnip is dead. This is and always has been your mother's fight, not yours.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">