• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

back income tax, garnishment & offer in compromise

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rlbunny

What is the name of your state? Texas
We owe fed. income taxes ('93-'02)of about $6,000 + $6,621 in interest & penalties. The largest amount owed is for '93 & '95. I am disabled & my wife earns about 19,000 a year. We are raising my 2 grandchildren & had a grandchild that died in 2004. We should be getting a refund of $5,950.00 for 2004 but have not filed yet. We were waiting while we tried to do an offer in compromise but can't seem to get anywhere with IRS. The infernal revenue (correct phrase) just started taking about $40.00 a pay period out of my wifes check last year. I thought there was a limit on the time they could go back & why is it that celeberties can pay 15 or 20 cents on the dollar in an offer but the rest of us can't get a break. Please help.
Thanks,
Dave :(

Last edited:

Snipes5

Get yourselves some professional assistance. You can hire an Enrolled Agent for much less than the cost of an attorney.

Let the professional deal with the IRS for you. The IRS can and will help you for free, but it is best to go to an office in person.

If you feel you are being given the run around, you can contact the National Taxpayer Advocate, who can help you navigate the IRS system.

Snipes

rlbunny

#2 Today, 11:00 AM
Snipes5

Thanks. I'm really going to show my lack of knowledge in this area & ask "what is an enrolled agent" & where do I find one?

Snipes5

Try www.naea.org You can find one in your city.

An Enrolled Agent is someone who has taken (and passed!) an 11 hour comprehensive IRS exam covering all aspects of the tax code and its enforcement.

There is also a background check and continuing education required.

Snipes

BelizeBreeze

Snipes5 said:
Try www.naea.org You can find one in your city.

An Enrolled Agent is someone who has taken (and passed!) an 11 hour comprehensive IRS exam covering all aspects of the tax code and its enforcement.

There is also a background check and continuing education required.

Snipes
Where the HELL were you when I was writing the $85,000 check to the IRS ? :eek:

nanomug

An EA is allowed to present the clients case to the IRS without the client being present. A tax preparer or an accountant will go with you to the IRS, but can't represent you. My parents went to an EA and I continued when I started working in high school. I was audited in College and she took care of everything. Having gone through that experience 28 years ago I have continued to use an EA. Actually the same EA.

Snipes5

An "accountant" can't represent you, but a CPA can represent you before the IRS the same way an EA is able to. In addition, any attorney can also represent you. However, an attorney will charge twice as much.

Last but not least, ONLY an attorney can represent you in actual Tax Court, and most, if not all, EA's will drop you like a hot potato if there is any "criminal" element to your case.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">