• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Back Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

devoted mommy

What is the name of your state? Nebraska

I have a three year old son out of wedlock. The state has went after his dad and tells me that he will not have to pay back support and that there is no chance of him signing over his rights. I just want to know what my rights are.

D

devoted mommy

I am not sure if I want him there or not. I was under the assumption that if the state wouldn't have gone after him that he would never make the attempt. I still don't believe that this is the best choice for my son

H

hexeliebe

Guess again Sweetie, it's not "YOUR" son. Or did he come out of a testtube?

As long as the bio-father isn't a danger to the child or unless his rights are taken away by a court, he has every right to know his child.

This subject is getting so damn old with people referring to "MY CHILD" that everytime this happens on this board from now on I'm pulling out my riot stick and causing havoc.

D

devoted mommy

Then you tell me where he should get the credit for what MY CHILD has done and who he is.

VeronicaGia

Ditto hex. And MI info on back support:

"Paternity Act authorizes support for prior periods, provided filing occurs before age six. "

So, since you didn't file for support prior to the child reaching age six, it looks like it would be current support only, and only until the child reaches 18 and has graduated high school. If he just turned 17 and isn't graduating soon, it may be worth it to file. If he's close to 18 and graduating, you won't get much.

This is something that should have been considered years ago. If you got an order back then, you could be enforcing the order now.

VeronicaGia

devoted mommy said:
Then you tell me where he should get the credit for what MY CHILD has done and who he is.
If it wasn't for him, you wouldn't have this child. You decided to let him slide for the rest way back then.

D

devoted mommy

He is only three but the state of Nebraksa does not go after back support. He has always known where we were, i have never hidden from him. So therefore I feel that I have not let it slide. I filed papers before he was even born to make sure that he had to play some sort of role so that I would not be at fault for him not having a dad. I don't understand why the state of Nebraska lets them slide back into the picture without making him pay for back support or something.

nextwife

I only know of two legal ways to become a mom to a child that will LEGALLY be ONLY the mom's child. Adopt as a single, or use an anonymous sperm donor. That gives you the right, legally, to be the only parent that child has. If you make one the "old fashioned way" the child is legally "ours" not "mine" unless there has been a termination of the OPs parental rights.

VeronicaGia

VeronicaGia said:
Ditto hex. And MI info on back support:

"Paternity Act authorizes support for prior periods, provided filing occurs before age six. "

So, since you didn't file for support prior to the child reaching age six, it looks like it would be current support only, and only until the child reaches 18 and has graduated high school. If he just turned 17 and isn't graduating soon, it may be worth it to file. If he's close to 18 and graduating, you won't get much.

This is something that should have been considered years ago. If you got an order back then, you could be enforcing the order now.
OOPS! This is completely my fault, thinking MI when I should have been thinking Nebraska. Sorry :(

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">