• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Back to court, have question..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

boatgirl

What is the name of your state? Oklahoma
My court order is going up for review. I'm trying to gather as much info I can before the date is set. My question is this: I was single when my child support was set. I am now remarried. Will the court use my new husbands income as my income as well?? Or do they only go on the actual parents income?
Thank you
boatgirl

L

lcollins

They can only use your income to set the support by, not your new spouse. You and the other parent are the ones responsible for the support of your child, not the stepparents.

W

WCC

yep....our atty told us the same thing ....but, i was reviewing a few case histories (in florida) and i got concerned because it said the judge may take into consideration NCP spouse's income if it's significant. like if my hubby and i were "livin' the life" because i had significant income and his income was minimal.

B

boatgirl

Thanks for your replies! I appreciate it! Am now wondering what 'NCP' stands for, though :confused: Also, hubby makes less than $50k a year, hardly living the life, but able to provide for me and daughter, even though her dad will not. I have heard a few times they do not consider step parents income when re-evaluating child support, but wanted to be assured. Thank you all!
boatgirl

B

boatgirl

So sorry, I must be completely confusing, grrr... hehe I'm the custodial parent, my daughter stays with me. My ex-husband was court ordered to pay child support and has not in the last year. Ex-husband is remarried, I am remarried. You guys are saying that they do not consider either step-parents income when it goes to court, correct? Just the actual parents of said child. (My income is so very low as I am a student, and I hate to be mean and push this but I do not think it's fair for my new hubby to support a child that is not his. ie.. ballet classes, prescription glasses, school clothes, food and shelter for cripes sake :) ) Ex husband can be such a meanie, especially to daughter, when it comes to money from his pocket. For the record: new husband dearly loves my daughter and has never complained once about anything spent for daughter. So it must be guilt I am feeling for him totally having to support us both, I don't know. Any women been in my shoes? lol
Argh! sorry for the ramblings here... Kinda nice to vent to the unknown. ;) hehe... you guys be happy I didn't write a book! lol
boatgirl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">