• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Back to school shopping

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cyana

What is the name of your state? Delaware

Hi all

I am about to use the very last of my savings on my kids back to school needs. The only money that I'll have from now on is my regular monthly income (disability and alimony). That said, and this may be a naive question, is it better to take the money out in cash or use my debit card like a check for the purchases. I have a meeting with my my bk attorney later this month to fill out out Chapter 7 paperwork but my lawyer may want to wait another month to get more "age" on my CC accounts.

Thank you,
Cyana

PS - please someone (besides those juvenile spammers) take a closer look at my earlier question "Divorce and bk".

A

a neighbor

"is it better to take the money out in cash or use my debit card like a check for the purchases"

I'm thinking this would depend on you. By using your debit card the bank charges for each debit purchase, those add up! That's cash wasted.

On the other hand, if your like me and spend the cash too easily (on not what it was intended for), then I would stick to the debit card method.

Either way keep your receipts. Is it that your worried what the attorney may think about the cash/purchases?? If so, don't worry, receipts will verify purchases, and when filing it will show another expense.

C

cyana

What I decided

Dear "neighbor"

My bank doesn't charge for debit purchases using their bankcard, nor do they charge for cash withdrawn from one of their banks (other banks, yes). So I decided to take some money out in cash and put the rest of of kids shopping needs on the bankcard. My son still has some of the cash I withdrew to buy his stationary supplies. Some of their clothes were paid by cash and the rest were put on the bankcard. I do save all receipts. Thanks for the reply.

A

a neighbor

COOL, I just know when I have extra money and I'm out with the kids (not my kids), anything goes. We stop to eat, we stop to drink, we play around and buy widgets. But if I have to use my card for things while I'm out, it saves alot of the widget shopping:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">