• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

backed into someone

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

velive

Earlier tonight while backing out in a parking lot I bumped into a black truck parked in the spot opposite me in a store parking like. It was one of those super-sized trucks.

In this lot the parking spaces are diagonal.

One thing I just thought of--though I don't know if this is relevant to the accident--is that he was not parked front-first into the space. It seems he had backed into the space. This means that to move out of that space he would have needed to drive against the flow of traffic in the lot.

Though I didn't see him I am assuming the driver was sitting in the truck at the time, because he emerged behind me in the parking lot when I was looking for my insurance information in my car.

So far as I know, though, he was parked and his vehicle was not moving at the time of the accident. If he was also pulling out at the same time as I was, I am unaware of it.

Because I could not locate my insurance information, I called Geico. I told a representative what had happened and then they gave the other driver my information over the phone.

Because it was night and his truck was black I could not really see anything meaningful when I examined his truck. The picture I took also seems useless - it shows nothing. I believe the impact was extremely slight because my car was moving slow.

A kind of line of "white dust" was visible on the back fender of my car where it made contact with his. At first I thought it was an actual scratch but I rubbed it with my fingers and the white dust fell off, leaving no sign of any damage to my car.

Because of this my guess is that if his fender was damaged it must be very minor. His truck was of the type that does not have a rubber bumper, so it is the body that my car hit.

The other driver told me he would get an estimate at the autobody shop he uses and give me a call with the cost and that we could handle it outside of insurance if I want.

Ideally I would like to do this, because I do not want my insurance to go up. But when I got home I saw an email from Geico and it looks like they have already assigned me a claim number, as a result of my call.

What I am wondering is, supposing I handle this with the other driver outside of insurance, will Geico still end up raising my rates because I made that call and a claim now exists?

Also, if I handle this privately, are there recommended precautions? What is the safest way to do this? I realize I will have to rely on the honesty of the other driver for the estimate he gives me. And I'm assuming if I agree to the esimtate I should pay the shop myself directly with credit card?

Thanks everyone! I appreciate your feedback and advice about this situation.

Last edited:

adjusterjack

One thing I just thought of--though I don't know if this is relevant to the accident--is that he was not parked front-first into the space. It seems he had backed into the space. This means that to move out of that space he would have needed to drive against the flow of traffic in the lot.
Irrelevant.

You are 100% at fault.

my guess is that if his fender was damaged it must be very minor.
Don't count on it. Nine years ago I backed out of a space, clipped the fender of a passing car and my insurance paid $1300 for the repairs to the car. Gonna be a lot more today.

What I am wondering is, supposing I handle this with the other driver outside of insurance, will Geico still end up raising my rates because I made that call and a claim now exists?
The claim will be on record with GEICO. Even if nothing is paid it will be used for underwriting. You might not get surcharged specifically for the claim but you might lose existing claim free discounts and find your rates up anyway.

Funny (not ha ha) I was with GEICO back then and my rates almost doubled.

Also, if I handle this privately, are there recommended precautions? What is the safest way to do this? I realize I will have to rely on the honesty of the other driver for the estimate he gives me. And I'm assuming if I agree to the esimtate I should pay the shop myself directly with credit card?
There is no "safe" way to do it. The other driver has no obligation to let you pay the shop. You owe him the money whether he gets the damage fixed or not.

If you don't want your insurance to handle it, he's got you over a barrel and whatever the estimate comes to, write him a check. That might not be the end of it. If the shop finds hidden damage, you'll owe more.

velive

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I'm in California.

You're right, not a great year. Still can't believe this happened. My head is spinning!

I'll just wait to hear from him now and see what the estimate is.

But I already have Geico leaving messages asking for more information. Assuming I agree to handle this privately with the other driver, should I be able to cancel the claim with Geico?

Sounds like they may raise my rates anyway - just what I need! but if the record of the claim is for $0 I hope not much.

Adjusterjack: so you have changed insurance companies since the days when you used Geico? Is there another company you consider better/cheaper/recommend?

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Tell Geico that your intention was to notify them of the possibility of a claim, as required in your policy. I do not believe that your rates will be impacted.

adjusterjack

Adjusterjack: so you have changed insurance companies since the days when you used Geico?
Yes. I switched from GEICO the first renewal after the accident. I went with the Hartford through the AARP. I was still charged for the accident but going through AARP saved me about $50. The following year after that I went with Safeco for a slightly lower premium but had to use one of their monitoring devices for three months to be able to keep the rate. Drove like granny. The third year I found Pekin through an independent agent. Pekin had just entered Arizona and was competitively seeking new business. I've been with Pekin since 2013 and, so far, haven't found any lower rates and I shop every year.

Is there another company you consider better/cheaper/recommend?
Hard to say. Insurance companies rates are cyclical. One year they are up, next year down. Depends on how profitable things have been. Try shopping on line, with local direct writers or through independent agents. An independent agent would know if Pekin writes in California.

velive

Thought I'd give the conclusion to this story. Maybe it will be helpful to some future reader of this thread.

The guy contacted me, saying he got a repair estimate for $1000.

I don't know anything about auto repair and pricing but it just sounded a bit high to me. I looked up the cost of a replacement bumper for his truck and found them being sold by various places from anywhere from $100 - $200. Even adding in very expensive labor costs, I could not see how the cost would come to $1000. So at this point I felt wary and decided to turn things over to Geico.

Today Geico told me the payout had been made. It was for $680. So,I guess it's good to go with your gut if you think the estimate they are telling you is too high! Assuming Geico don't raise my premiums, it seems I made the right choice.

But I'm still surprised by the cost, given the price of a replacement bumper.

How do you know that the other party hasn't exaggerated damages to get a bigger payout or to get more repairs done, exceeding those caused by the accident? (I think I mentioned in my previous post that there were no damages to my car, and looking at his truck I could not really tell what damage my car had done to his -- first because it was night time, and secondly because there were a number of areas of damage and discoloration on his bumper, not all of which could have been caused by my car when I backed into it.)

Is it worthwhile for me to contact the adjuster to ask more about what repairs were done, and if so are there any questions you suggest I ask?

Last edited:

PayrollHRGuy

I don't see where a call would help you the deal is done. The owner of the truck has every right to have his bumper replaced with an OEM bumper, not some off-brand one that you found on the net.

Bodywork is expensive.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">