• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Background Check Errors, Manager Refuses to Rent Because of this problem

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Moore444

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

Texas

I recently applied to a government low rent government apartment and was turned down because of false information in a Background Check. The background check came back with no information regarding anyone with my exact name (based on my name and date of birth) but instead they found another person with a different first name and the same date of birth. This person is not me! I have no convictions on my record. His name is totally different from mine except for the last name: Moore. Moore is a very common name, so it would not be unusual that it might match someone with the same birthdate. This other person by the same last name has recorded several sexual and assault related convictions, so this is the only reason that my request to rent has been denied. The reason my name doesn't show up in their database is probably because it has been over 7 years since I have signed a rental lease agreement.

I even went to the internet to pull up all information on known sex-offenders as well as pay an additional $20 for a background check on myself--anyone with my exact first and last name and the result was that there was no one with that name and same date of birth with any conviction record. The few that were had different dates for date of birth and photos showed they were not me. We gave all this information to the manager, but she still refuses to rent to us. She says we have to correct the information with "Tenant Tracker" (which will take time) even though it seems clear that I am not the person that she was sent information on.

We tried to contact her, but she was not in her office during regular hours. She gave us the phone number to call to resolve the issue, but has yet to give us a copy of the report (necessary to correct this problem with Tenant Tracker). It seems obvious that she just doesn't want to rent to me (for whatever reason, maybe she thinks I am a terrorist because I wear a beard) and this makes for a convenient excuse.

What should I do?

Thanks,

Moore444

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">