• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Background Check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

The Occultist

What is the name of your state? AZ
So, for use of MJ in the dorms I am not allowed to live on campus anymore, meaning I have to find a nearby apartment. One of the apartment complexes I contacted gave me a lot of information, but then informed me that part of the deposit was used to pay for a criminal background check because they don't allow criminals to stay there. Now, even though MJ is considered a felony in this state, because its use occured on campus they're willing to charge me with a misdemeanor, which I will be pleading guilty to. So my question is, will a misdemeanor show up on a background check and prevent me from living in such a community?

Last edited:

Yes a Misd. will show up on the background check. You would have to ask the owners or managers as to what they will or will not allow. Having said that a Misd. is a hell of a lot beter on your record than a Felony for several reasons.not Advice. For what it's worth. Patrolman/J. Buckner

S

seniorjudge

Q: So my question is, will a misdemeanor show up on a background check?
A: Yes.

Q: and prevent me from living in such a community?
A: Do what Patrolman/J. Buckner and ask the owners. It's their property.

smutlydog

The Occultist said:
What is the name of your state? AZ
So, for use of MJ in the dorms I am not allowed to live on campus anymore, meaning I have to find a nearby apartment. One of the apartment complexes I contacted gave me a lot of information, but then informed me that part of the deposit was used to pay for a criminal background check because they don't allow criminals to stay there. Now, even though MJ is considered a felony in this state, because its use occured on campus they're willing to charge me with a misdemeanor, which I will be pleading guilty to. So my question is, will a misdemeanor show up on a background check and prevent me from living in such a community?
When they told you they don't allow criminals they may have meant felons.Also because the charge was a misdemeanor it may be possible to get it expundged from your record ($$ lawyer).

S

seniorjudge

smutlydog said:
When they told you they don't allow criminals they may have meant felons.Also because the charge was a misdemeanor it may be possible to get it expundged from your record ($$ lawyer).
Expungements are for illegal convictions or unlawful arrests. If you did get the conviction expunged, it may still show up in the records of one of those companies who compile public records for background checks.

smutlydog

seniorjudge said:
If you did get the conviction expunged, it may still show up in the records of one of those companies who compile public records for background checks.
So companies can compile records from a national database dating back for an x amount of years?

Last edited:
S

seniorjudge

Q: So companies can compile records from a national database dating back for an x amount of years?

smutlydog

seniorjudge said:
Q: So companies can compile records from a national database dating back for an x amount of years?
You never give the answers I want to hear but thanks for replying anyway

S

seniorjudge

You never give the answers I want to hear but thanks for replying anyway

You're not the first person who's told me that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">