• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

background check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

Can anyone tell me how I can find out about a background check thay Uber is saying that is not allowing me to get a job?
When you are denied a job based on a background check, the employer/prospective employer should provide you with the name of the background check company used so you can dispute any inaccuracies that might be on the report.

well they either would not or could not. They told me they sent me an e-mail 2 years ago saying that I had a background problem and besides i already have a fingerprint card and when I offered to show it to them they said they do their own background checks.

quincy

Where are you located, Snowman? Arizona, right?

You can do your own background check on yourself to see what shows up.

This can be smart for everyone to do but especially smart for anyone who is looking for a job. Background check reports often contain errors. Although most errors are minor, some can be serious. It is important to correct them before they cost you a job.

Because you recently had eye surgery and your vision does not meet the CDL requirements right now, I suspect that is a reason why you cannot be an Uber driver.

Good luck.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

Even if the background check is 100% bullpoop by the way, Uber is under no obligation to hire you. Their obligation ended when they told you who they used for the background check.

quincy

Even if the background check is 100% bullpoop by the way, Uber is under no obligation to hire you. Their obligation ended when they told you who they used for the background check.
Although snowman says Uber "would not or could not" provide the background check company name, I suspect it was included in the email sent by Uber to snowman.

FlyingRon

I didn't do it enough to experience any of the real unpleasant stuff (and I didn't drive at night). Mostly, I got fairly young people just needing a ride from one place to another. Can't vouch for the ability to make a living doing it, but it was fun playing "cab driver" without needing to worry about taking money etc... (the fees are all done by the app).

You just sit somewhere with the app up waiting for a hit. Out in the burbs it could take a while but down in DC, I'd pretty much drop one off and I'd get a call for the next one only a block away.

quincy

I didn't do it enough to experience any of the real unpleasant stuff (and I didn't drive at night). Mostly, I got fairly young people just needing a ride from one place to another. Can't vouch for the ability to make a living doing it, but it was fun playing "cab driver" without needing to worry about taking money etc... (the fees are all done by the app).

You just sit somewhere with the app up waiting for a hit. Out in the burbs it could take a while but down in DC, I'd pretty much drop one off and I'd get a call for the next one only a block away.
Doesn't sound bad. I imagine it is a good, relatively easy way to make money.

DC is the only place I have ever used Uber. I found it a nice way to get to and from the airport.

quincy

UBER isn't an employer, of drivers anyways.
Actually, that depends on what court decision you look at. Uber claims the drivers are independent contractors and some courts in some states have agreed. Other courts in other states (like federal courts in New York and California) have said Uber is an employer and Uber drivers are employees.

This is where it stood as of late last year, with lawsuits over the issue of IC or employer/employee still to be heard. Has there been a more recent ruling on this?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">