• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bad air quality in the school health problems

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

volcano

What is the name of your state? Maryland

I have been at this school for 6 years. There is bad air quality through out the school. Rodent feeces, extreme temperature changes. Mold, leaky pipes, possible lead/ asbestos.
Now my problem is I have a room with no windows. When the heat turns on it smells like throwup. I ask them each year to fix the smell and it does not get fixed. Temperature gets up to 85 on occassion. There is a closet with a hot water pipe which gets well into the 100 degrees with a bad odor. Students complain of the heat and smell constantly.
Today i have itchy eyes and fatigue. I am concerned about my health. 2 years ago a teacher died of cancer. The teacher about 8 years ago died of cancer. Now I find out others before that died of cancer.
The beginning of this year the carpet was filled with black mold. They cleaned it up and said everything is fine. Now that the smell is strong again they are having someone come out and look at the heater.

What should I be doing? Could I be getting health problems from the room? I just noticed a sist or bump by my ear. When I complain about the room I feel I am treated like I am starting trouble.

V

volcano

I tried to leave to another school system last year, but could not find a position. Also they will not allow teachers to leave in the middle of the school year or they will take away their teacher's certification.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

volcano said:
I tried to leave to another school system last year, but could not find a position. Also they will not allow teachers to leave in the middle of the school year or they will take away their teacher's certification.

My response:

Okay, then you have a decision to make . . . so, you say to yourself . . .

"Health, bad health. Health, bad health. Health, bad health."

You have a choice. You can put up with it until the end of the school term, and then let your legs run so fast, that you leave a dust trail behind - - or, you can tell them to "go to hell; get a replacement who doesn't care. But, I'm outta here now!"

IAAL

V

volcano

Very true, i would like to leave and I must also consider this...

money, no money, money, no money...I do need a job.

Then I must consider is having a job worth putting my health in danger? I just feel the school should be responsible for supplying a clean healthy environment for the students and teachers. When someone has health concerns and they don t fix the problem in a timely matter...I feel the school is responsible.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

volcano said:
When someone has health concerns and they don t fix the problem in a timely matter...I feel the school is responsible.

=========================================

My response:

You are absolutely correct! No doubt about it.

However, please tell me you have a boat load of money to pay for the scientfic tests, and testimony of all the "Expert Witnesses", including medical experts, and the Depositions of their experts. And then, being able to refute THEIR experts' data concerning your claims.

You see, it's sometimes not economically feasible to attempt to sustain litigation, especially on a teacher's salary. And besides, are you willing to stay there so that you can become your own "guinea pig" in your litigation - - to prove harm?

Get out if you feel you're being harmed. It's not worth it.

IAAL

V

volcano

I do not have a boatload of money, so I guess I don t have a case. This seems ashame that I was subject to this environment, but yet the best advice is to walk away.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Have you considered filing a complaint with OSHA? That is every employee's right and it is ILLEGAL to fire, demote, or discipline you for doing so. (OSHA will NOT tell the employer who filed the complaint.)

asel

Volcano, type in toxic black mold into your search bar. I have never given advice on this forum, have allways asked, but your subject touched a raw nerve. Please research mold problems, in severe cases it can cause neuro problems. Some schools and buildings have been shut down. Call your local health dept. There are also kits you can purchase to do a test on your own. Not all molds are bad, but the ones that are, can have life long bad effects on your system. My daughter suffered numerous sinus infections and then some type of uncontrolled joint jerking. Doctors were never able to pinpoint the problem, tests were run on everything but no tests were ever done for allergys or mold. One child on my daughters school floor had stroke symptoms, another boy died of some type of blood disorder. All three children including mine started having strange symptoms in the first month of school. My daughters symptoms got soo bad that a full body scan was ordered but thank goodness it came back normal. I pulled her out of school (home schooled) and by January all symptoms were gone. This all happened three years ago and I had never heard of toxic black mold until a year ago, a friend saw a news show on TV and someone interviewed had similar symptoms as my daughter. Soo, don't just play wait and see. Also type in Erin Brockovich (sp?) into search. How many children on your floor, not just in your class have recurring sinus, ear and upper respiratory infections?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">